LME Addition Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseRider

Reaction score
I know Iv'e read about this but I cant seem to find the thread and I'm ready to start my brew day. I'm brewing a Brewers Best Double IPA kit which includes:

9.9lbs light LME
1lbs Corn Sugar

I just want to double check that it would be okay to add half the LME at the beginning of the boil and the rest of the LME and corn sugar towards the end of the boil (say 5min left). Thanks ahead of time for any help.

p.s. Instructions say to add it all at the start of the boil.

I know Iv'e read about this but I cant seem to find the thread and I'm ready to start my brew day. I'm brewing a Brewers Best Double IPA kit which includes:

9.9lbs light LME
1lbs Corn Sugar

I just want to double check that it would be okay to add half the LME at the beginning of the boil and the rest of the LME and corn sugar towards the end of the boil (say 5min left). Thanks ahead of time for any help.

p.s. Instructions say to add it all at the start of the boil.

Yes, you could do that. My preference is to use 1 pound (or so, just guessing is fine!) in the boil for every gallon of water boiled. That is, if you're boiling two gallons, use two pounds of extract. For a three gallon boil, then three pounds of extract to start would be what I'd do.

That ensures that the consistency of your wort is always about the same, for predictable results.

I'd add the rest of the extract at flame out or near it, since it takes a while to bring it back up to a boil and it's really not necessary to do that. It can also screw up your hops additions if you add extract and stop the boil with 5 minutes left. I'd just finish the boil, turn off the flame and add the sugar and extract.

Yes, you could do that. My preference is to use 1 pound (or so, just guessing is fine!) in the boil for every gallon of water boiled. That is, if you're boiling two gallons, use two pounds of extract. For a three gallon boil, then three pounds of extract to start would be what I'd do.

That ensures that the consistency of your wort is always about the same, for predictable results.

I'd add the rest of the extract at flame out or near it, since it takes a while to bring it back up to a boil and it's really not necessary to do that. It can also screw up your hops additions if you add extract and stop the boil with 5 minutes left. I'd just finish the boil, turn off the flame and add the sugar and extract.

3lbs it is, thanks Yooper. So I take it the sugar can be added at the end of the boil too?

I like doing flame out extract additions myself. I get lighter color & cleaner flavor with none of that extract twang.

Back