Marbles question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I want to throw a few marbles in with my sack of cacao nibs for my oatmeal stout. Can I use a few of my son's glass marbles? Of course I would boil them for a while to sterilize and throw in some c-brite.

My lbs had a bag of couple hundred or something but I didn't want to spend $16 on them when I only need a couple. Of course they said I shouldn't use any old marble and should use theirs. Is this true?

Marbles aren't food grade and may contain lead or other nasty stuff. If the LHBS's marbles are stainless steel, pyrex, or some other food-grade material, I'd go with that. Or throw a stainless steel spoon in the sack to weigh the nibs down.

Marbles are just glass, and are prettymuch nonporous; when sanitized, they ought to be fine.

There won't be any lead in them, the FDA is pretty serious about lead in household products, even moreso in children's products. If they aren't from 1950 or something, they should be perfectly fine (and probably are fine then).

Back