Considering my own recipe from scratch materials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At the local brewstore, I picked up 3lb of Munson wheat dry malt. I have some hefe-weizen yeast, and some hops left over, along with a big bag of wheat grain.

Is that enough for a 5 gal batch of light wheat beer? I was thinking 3lbs would be enough for maybe 3.5 to 4 gallons, along with about 2lb of grain. Does that sound right?

Three pounds of extract in a 5 gallon batch will give you a specific gravity of 1.025. That's not very high.

Additionally, I don't think you can mash the wheat by itself. You would have to mash that with some malted barley to convert the wheat.

Are you intending on doing a partial mash or are you just trying to steep the wheat?

Additionally, I don't think you can mash the wheat by itself. You would have to mash that with some malted barley to convert the wheat.

That's actually incorrect, wheat malt has equal if not more diastatic power than barley (OP you said grain, assuming this is malted?).

OP, as I posted in your duplicate thread 3 lb DME plus 2 lb grain would be about right for a 4 gallon batch, probably in the mid 1.040's range for OG.

Right on. I suppose I may have misinterpreted something that I've previously read on HBT. Unmalted wheat, however, has a diastatic power of zero, correct?

Back