Yet Another Force Carbed, Spiced Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingobitme

Reaction score
I like extremely offensive ginger ale and this is my attempt at one... Toyed with adding serrano and lemmon grass, but this is my first try at a soda so better keep it mellow...

2.5 gal water
2 cups grated ginger (I smelled the three they had at the SE Asian market and picked the strongest one), tightly packed
3 cups cane sugar
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
4 lemons juiced and zested
1/8 tsp Jamaican allspice
1/8 tsp cardomom
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
few cloves

Brought water, sugars, juice, and ginger (ginger and zest in a tight mesh bag) to a boil. Flameout, add spices and cover. Steep for 30 min, pull solids and cool (it's snowing in Denver and I am working from home, so a water/snow bath is what it got). Once it got to 40F, I kegged at 50 psi and shook for 5 min. Will leave at 50 overnight, then drop to 25 and see how it is in the am.

The taste is great... just enough of the molasses to be rich and dark, but not too overpowering. The spices are pretty nice, but not integrated yet... probably better colder. SWMBO tasted it and immediately told me to add a gallon of rum or vodka to the keg...

I think we will try this as is and then toy with mules on tap after!

Will report Wed or Thursday...

Over carbonated and too citrusy... But great spice and nice ginger!

Would add 1/2 cup more sugar, and cut the lemon in half... Still great, but will likely need some vodka soon...

This is a thousand year old thread (ok, 3 years), but looks good. I would guess adding the molasses with the water to heat and dissolve it would be good.

Back