Wheat / wit recipe check please please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
All Grain

Batch size 5.5 gal
6.75 lb white wheat malk
6.75 2 row pale
.5 crystal 40
.5 crystal 80
1 lb rice hulls
.75 oz Galena 60 min
.25 oz Galena 0 min Aroma
2oz Fresh grated Ginger 12 min boil
3 lb sterilzed apricot puree added to secondary after 10 day primary
wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale with .75 qt starter on stir plate.

Beer smith has this at 69% total eff
30.8 IBU
9.8 SRM
6.6 ABV

Doing Single infusion batch sparge medium body

Would like to know what you think i might end up with with this grain bill and the ginger and apricot for a outside of the box taste. I am also looking for opinions on hops and yeast choice.

Really wanting a outside the normal, powerful wheat but with a good flavor.

The crystal malt is not particularly traditional, and your recipe is a bit dark for the style, but perhaps that is intentional on your part to leave some sweetness behind the apricots?

We do most of our wheat beers just 50/50 wheat/pils or wheat/2-row, though our wit gets some munich and flaked oats.

my thought with the crystal is to provide a stable sweetness to shine the apricots.
I may try to scale them back a bit, but i have a hard time seeing how a half pound total will do much of anything.

my thought with the crystal is to provide a stable sweetness to shine the apricots.
I may try to scale them back a bit, but i have a hard time seeing how a half pound total will do much of anything.

I made a wheat beer for a friend recently and used 1/2 pound of Caramel 40L. You could definitely taste it.

If you're going with the crystal I'd at least go lighter, I don't usually get sweetness from the darker crystals 80 and up. I'd consider 10L or 20L.

Back