Fried Pecan Chicken & Bacon Cornbread Waffles w/Spicy Honey Mustard & Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
This recipe is awesome and I wanted to share it with HBT. I tried my best to write it up, but I tend not to follow strict recipes when cooking. Basically, I took a classic and added an interesting spin to it. Hope you enjoy the idea! It would be great with a nice Marzen like Ayinger, which you could probably use a little bit of for the marinade.

For the Chicken:

Pound & marinate boneless, skinless chicken breast for 1 day in:

1 pint buttermilk
1 tsp. blackening seasoning
small squirt of honey
dash of salt

For the Chicken Breading:

1 pint pecans
1/4 cup all purpose flour

Pulse pecans in food processor with 1/4 cup of the flour then gently mix in the rest:

3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. blackening seasoning
1 tsp. salt
Cracked pepper
*Canola oil, and a dab of butter for shallow-frying

Heat up enough corn oil in the pan to coat the chicken halfway. While the oil is heating up, coat the chicken. Give it a little bit of a shake, but don't necessarily knock everything off.

Add a dab of butter to the oil. Shallow fry in a deep pan on the stovetop, in 350 F oil, until golden brown on both sides and the chicken is fully cooked. Remove from pan, season with a dash of salt and let drain on paper towels. If needed, you can add the chicken to the oven for another 5 minutes to get it extra crispy.

For the Bacon-Cornbread Waffles:

1.25 lbs. Gold Medal cornbread mix
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
small pinch of salt
1 pint whole milk
dollup of sour cream
1 egg
1/8 cup clarified butter
small squirt of maple syrup
1 tbsp. crispy bacon bits per waffle

Cook up some bacon until crispy, drain, and chop into half inch sized bits. Set aside. Slowly add dry mix to the wet ingredients. Add crispy bacon bits into the bowl and pour batter on a greased waffle maker. When lightly golden, but not dark golden brown. Afterward, slightly dry out the waffle a bit more in a preheated oven for added crispiness.

For the Spicy Brown Honey Mustard:

Spicy brown mustard
Honey
Apple cider vinegar

Mix all three ingredients together until it tastes good. This part isn't rocket science. You're looking for a balance of flavors.

Plate with the waffles on one side of the plate and the chicken on the other side. Drizzle spicy brown honey mustard atop chicken. Drizzle plain maple syrup atop waffles.

Chicken and Waffles along with shrimp and grits are easily the two best contributions the south has made to the world.

Back