Secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
When do I rack from my primary to the secondary fermenter? I have a Cascade IPA that has Been in primary for a week.

Many will say never (I won't get into pros and cons). To answer your question, make sure that FG is reached by taking multiple gravity readings. Racking to secondary before fermentation is complete can cause fermentation to stop prematurely.

Thank you. I want to free up my primary. New batch is needed :)

yeah I have 3 buckets now....used to rack to secondary carboy too soon. usually 7-10 days is good though, but like others have said, check the gravity reading. i usually take the reading right in the bucket(sanitize the hydrometer and your hands 1st).

Get a bucket for a second brew so you wont be tempted to rush. Your beer will thank you for it :D

Pretty much THIS!

There was a noticable difference in final flavors, attenuation (not to mention less PITA) when I finally listened to the crowd and stopped using secondaries unless I'm dry-hopping, adding fruits/wood/whatever.

Just buy a new bucket now...... this home brewing thing is a slippery slope and you'll have several buckets eventually, anyway!

Cheers. :tank:

Many will say never (I won't get into pros and cons). To answer your question, make sure that FG is reached by taking multiple gravity readings. Racking to secondary before fermentation is complete can cause fermentation to stop prematurely.

+1 on this reply. Every time I see one of these threads I cringe. This a highly debated topic.

Back