Can a blowoff go above the fermenter? Or: What good is my lagerator's freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radegast

Reaction score
Long story short: Bought a nice used fridge, old fridge got cleaned up and is heading to retirement as a lagerator.

This particular fridge has a freezer on top with a separate door and auto-defrost, which means both the freezer and refrigerator compartments have drain holes. The bottom drain hole is going to be the access point for the temperature controller.

If my fermenters are sitting in the fridge, can I run tubing up through the drain hole in the ceiling and have blowoff vessels sitting in the freezer? Even if the freezer gets very cold, my blowoffs will have alcohol in them for sanitation purposes anyway, and it will act as an antifreeze.

Will this work? I'm thinking it would, since pushing CO2 up the tube will still be the path of least resistance. I even think it might have some advantages, since it will be a little harder for precious beer to end up in the blowoff. Does anyone have experience with configurations where the blowoff is above the fermenter? Am I asking for an explosion?

I have other options as far as blowoffs go, but I really like this idea because there's no other obvious use for a lagerator's freezer. It's not always going to be cold enough to be my hop freezer, but it's cold enough that I don't want to store any of my other brewing stuff in there. Is there a good use for a lagerator's freezer?

Yeah, that's a good point. I was wondering if a check valve could prevent that?

As stated above if your blow off is above the fermenter when the beer cools after active fermentation it will create a vacuum on the blow off. If its above the fermenter gravity will siphon the blowoff into the fermenter. You want your blowoff below the fermenter opening

Back