Just looking for some piece of mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhhhREALmonsters

Reaction score
Hey all. I just got my first batch fermenting and i have a concern i was hoping you could clear up for me. I made a bonehead move when heating the mash and didnt get it nearly as hot as i shouldve. I thought it was about 150f, but it was actually 105f. It stayed and 105f for about an hour. Fast forward, ive had it fermenting for about 4 hours as of now, i can can see some visible signs of fermentation. I was concerned that there wouldnt be enough sugar present in the wort, so seeing some bubbles is making me feel a bit better. Am i just having the inevitable first batch lack of confidence, or did i screw this up bad?

^

OG could have been a little low. 120˚F is just a resting point (protein rest) for the mash, so your 105˚F was low for that. Your thinking 150˚F is correct range for beta-amylase conversion.

I'm sure there is still some sugar in there, though. An hour mash is pretty sufficient. I used to boil my mash, before I learned more about brewing, and my beer didn't end up bad.

Good luck,

I don't know if you converted. 105 at an hour may not have done it.

For the future get some iodine and use it to check conversion. I do that now and use the results of the test rather than time to determine if mash is finished. A drop of iodine next to a drop of wort on a white plate. Starch reacts black blue. Highly fermentibles have no reaction dextrins are reddish. Don't put the iodine back in the wort it's poison.

flars - I have very limited information I can give. I realized my temperature error while heating the sparge water, and immediately flew into panic mode. I spaced on the OG reading. I bought the Mini Monster Bookshelf Brewery kit it the amber ale grains.

Gsul- I took a peak hear after about 16 hours in the fermenter and I believe I saw some krausen forming and there is even a little airlock activity, so I have to believe there is enough sugar for fermentation to at least begin.

Scott - Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that with my next batch. I'm all for eliminating as many "what ifs" as I can throughout the process.

I'm loving what a valuable resource HBT is. I've always been interested in homebrewing, and finally decided to give it a shot. So I bought my kit, and figured I'd just follow the directions and call it a day. Once I found this forum, everything changed. I spend hours on end just researching. I'm already planning out equipment for 5 gal batches. Everything I've read has just served to get me even more excited. Thanks everyone, I really needed a good hobby.

I'm loving what a valuable resource HBT is. I've always been interested in homebrewing, and finally decided to give it a shot. So I bought my kit, and figured I'd just follow the directions and call it a day. Once I found this forum, everything changed. I spend hours on end just researching. I'm already planning out equipment for 5 gal batches. Everything I've read has just served to get me even more excited. Thanks everyone, I really needed a good hobby.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I've only been brewing since Feb and everyone (except for 2 or 3 I've seen post) has been incredibly friendly and willing to help! Even at my lhbs, everyone' is really friendly.

I have tons of hobbies and interest, but the HB community is by far, the most welcoming.

Back