Crazy Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willey146

Reaction score
I have planted a few different varieties of hops in buckets to get a jump start on the season. They started out as hop plugs. After planting all of them at the same time, they all seem to be growing at the same rate, looking great except for one "shoot"?. This one shoot has grown about three feet in the last ten days while the others are just two to three inches high? Should i trim this crazy shoot or is it fine?

Thanks for any replies!

If you leave it alone it will be fine. If you trim it off two growth heads will emerge from the last set of leaves, once again ok. So choose what you want one bine or more?

cut maybe 1/4 about the next leaf nodes, then at that point the bine will split into two growth tips.

For the first year, let them all grow. They will build up reserves and strength. For subsequent years, you can trim them to just three bines if you want to maximize your harvest.

cut maybe 1/4 about the next leaf nodes, then at that point the bine will split into two growth tips.

I had to cut mine as well for other reasons but with the same purpose. Following the advise of some of the guys here, I did cut leaving at least a foot long with leaves just in case it had no more reserves in the root system. The plants stayed shy for a couple of weeks and they started to show the two tips. Heard that one of the splits will be leader and will grow faster than the other. Cutting back also seemed to have stimulated the shooting more bines at the base. As they are first year i plan to leave them grow all.

Just wanted to show you a picture of it.

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

Back