Balancing malts and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerserkerPaul

Reaction score
Greetings!

So I have a Chinook IPA kit from NB and here is the grain bill:
10# Rahr 2-row Pale
0.75# Belgian Caramel Pils
0.25# Briess Caramel 120

Here are the hop additions (all pellet):
0.75 oz Chinook (60 min)
0.5 oz Chinook (10 min)
0.5 oz Chinook (1 min)

I want to add an additional 2 oz of Mt. Rainer and 2 oz of Mt Hood (pellets) to the brew day. Since the original hop additions for this particular recipe only total 1.75 oz I'm thinking adding a little over twice as much hops will demand an adjustment to the grains in order to balance things out. So, the question is how do I goes abouts this? Should I add a couple more #s of 2-row and another half # each of the Caramels, maybe? I've read that a # pound of Munich grains do wonderful things for IPAs, maybe that would be enough?
Possibility 1:
12# Rahr 2-row Pale
1.5#Belgian Caramel Pils
0.75# Briess Caramel 120
+ 1# of Munich

Possibility 2:
13# Rahr 2-row Pale
0.75# Belgian Caramel Pils
0.25# Briess Caramel 120
+ 1# of Munich

then possibilities go on endlessly...
responses appreciated!

Berserker-

Good ideas. I think it's up to the brewer's discretion.

Try thinking about how much hop bitterness (particularly IBU) you want to have in your finished product. This can help you devise a recipe that you like. Think about the hop %AA. How many alpha-acids will this contribute to my beer?

Adding more malts will increase the alcohol % of your brew. If you feel this is compensated for by additions of more hops, then go for it. Adding the extra four oz.'s may be a lot, but it's totally cool man, go for it. I use other recipes for reference often.

Hope this helps, cheers!

When do you want to add the hops? At the beginning of the boil they add bitterness, at the end of the boil they mostly add flavor. Dry hopping them gives you aroma. It makes quite a difference on how you change the recipe.

Great insights, I love it.
Chinook Alpha 12.1% x 3oz=36.3
Mt Rainier Alpha 6.1% x 2oz=12.2
Mt Hood Alpha 5.5% x 2oz=11
Total: 59.5 %AAU
I did some IBU calculations using Palmer's book (calculated with the original grain bill's OG of 1.053):
IBU60min=24.2 (2oz Chinook) x 0.225 x 75/5 = 82
IBU45=12.2 (2oz Mt Rainier) x 0.2066 x 75/5 = 38
This gives me 120 IBUs already, w/o the late Mt Hood and final Chinook additions. Hmm...
@RM-MN after further research on these hops I want to add the majority of the Chinook and Mt Rainier early in the boil for bittering and then use the Mt Hood late in the boil for flavor, plus dry hop again w/ the Mt Hood.
I am loving the Pacific Northwest connection with my hops by the way.
I think I will add 2-3#s of the base malt with proportional increases in the caramels along with the 1# of Munich in order to tackle the more aggressive hopping contemplated above.
Further suggestions, thoughts, warnings welcomed.

Latest posts

Back