American Barleywine AG - Water Into Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought the ingredients for this and will be brewing as soon as I get the maple syrup...going to Aldi tomorrow. This will be the first beer I have dry hopped and from reading the thread understand that it is to be done in secondary for anywhere from 1-3 weeks. Should I add the hops during the last 2-3 weeks before bottling, or add the hops in the beginning of secondary and rack a third time to get the beer off the hops?

I brewed this 2 weeks ago yesterday, and checked gravity today- 1.012. I couldn't believe it attenuated that fast. I admit, this was the most violent fermentation I've ever had, but still! I checked it with 2 hydrometers just to make sure, haha.

Anyway, I dryhopped today, and took a sip of the sample. WOW. It is definitely alcoholic right now. A noticeable touch of maple... not bitter at all yet, but I believe a lot of it is masked in the alcoholic finish...

Question- What are peoples thoughts about doing secondary/aging in a keg? I don't want to tie up a carboy for extended lengths of time if I don't have to...

Brewed this up last week and fly sparged for the first time. I don't think I have a good grasp on the whole fly sparging thing and ended up with 9.5 gallons in the boil kettle at 1.051. Boiled it for for almost 3 hours and ended up filling my carboy to the neck with 1.081 wort. I should have probably boiled another .5 to 1 gallon out of it since I had a 2L starter going for it. Fermentation kicked off within a couple hours and is just now starting to slow down. I plan on racking it to secondary in a couple more days. I'll let it go in secondary for a couple weeks, then dry hop for a couple weeks, then bottle and age. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try one. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this up last week and fly sparged for the first time. I don't think I have a good grasp on the whole fly sparging thing and ended up with 9.5 gallons in the boil kettle at 1.051. Boiled it for for almost 3 hours and ended up filling my carboy to the neck with 1.081 wort. I should have probably boiled another .5 to 1 gallon out of it since I had a 2L starter going for it. Fermentation kicked off within a couple hours and is just now starting to slow down. I plan on racking it to secondary in a couple more days. I'll let it go in secondary for a couple weeks, then dry hop for a couple weeks, then bottle and age. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try one. Thanks for the recipe.

I got horrible efficiency when I brewed this also. It was still good beer a rye ale :)

Ok so I read through all the posts and from what I'm getting from all of this is something like this...... Primary 1 month or so..... secondary 3 months or so then tertiary to dry hop 2-3 weeks... Am I to assume at that point everyone is bottling then bottle conditioning for another few months upwards of a year from brewing the beer ? I have brewed many a beer but never a barleywine and I really don't know the carboy scheduling. For some reason I feel like it should be more like Primary 1 -1.5 weeks than secondary as it will still be putting off a co2 blanket thn age for 4 months then tertiary etc....... any advice on this my brewing knowledge somewhat is contradicting what I see happening and that may very well just be because I've never brewed a beer this big before. any advice is greatly appreciated !!!!:)

I've been sitting on this for almost 9 months now, and have tried a bottle conditioned one ever since month 6. It definitely needs to sit, the amount of hops and rye seems to really put some harsh bitterness/spiciness in the beer that seems to mellow over time. I've given some sips to a BMC crowd and they really liked it after 8 months and I anticipate it only getting better. I am going to let the rest sit until winter and see where it is then.

FWIW, over here it is common practice to boil maple syrup to 238F when it is used for cooking : it is said to reach it's full maple flavor at this point. That is what I done with mine before pouring it in my kettle at flame out.

The batch has been racked on a Nottingham cake at 1098 last week and is still bubbling by now. It has gotten fairly warm (70-72) at the peak of fermentation, despite the use of a swamp cooler.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

After about a year and 2 months, its like someone flipped a switch on this brew. All the flavors and harshness has mellowed and blended into a nice rich and very flavorful barelywine. It seemingly took forever, but be patient with this one and stick with a long secondary/bottle condition and you'll be rewarded the longer this sits.

I brewed 2.5 gallons 1 year ago. I've been drinking 1 a month since last December. Its gotten really good and the last couple of bottles I could taste a slight hint of maple which wasn't there before. I still have about 10 left but will probably brew this again.

I brewed this on 10-26-14 (a little less than 2 weeks ago). I got very similar numbers to what Golfduke mentioned above. I made a 3 gallon batch and hit my target volume into the fermenter. My OG was 1.109. I took a sample today and it came out at 1.012. Mother of God. I think I got drunk from the one sip I took. Tasted like pure burn. Getting past the alcohol, it was quite bitter but it has a beautiful caramel color and slightly malty smell. I can only hope that the extra alcohol allows it to mellow to a more drinkable state.

photo (5).JPG

photo (4).JPG

Going to be brewing a BW based on this soon. Questions on bottling/conditioning though. I'm planning to secondary in a corny for a few months and then bottling with a beer gun straight from the carbed keg. That being said I have a few questions:

Should I carb as soon as I rack it to the keg or wait until I'm ready to bottle?
When should I dry hop in the keg? (before, during or after carb)
Should I crack the keg and add a packet of something like Nottingham to help it continue to age in the bottles or will there be enough yeast left over after 3-4 months of conditioning?
I'll have the space to keep it in the keezer the whole time (keep it around 45*) should I do that or let it sit at room temp?

Thanks

I know it's an expensive hobby and one should use the best quality ingredients but here where I live if I use 1.5lbs of maple syrup it would cost between 10 and 15 dollars. I know from experience if added to the boil honey will only up the abv. and dry out the bier a bit. Has anyone had success brewing this with a homemade candi syrup using this method?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

I guess the "deep amber" version would be the best option.

I can also get some of this stuff for about half the price of maple syrup, probably too dark though:
http://www.candico.be/products/sugar-candy/candy-syrup.aspx

Thanks!

I'm currently brewing a version of this. Looking forward to it!

6lb LME

4lb 2row
4lb dark Munich
.5lb crystal 60
.5lb crystal 90
12oz Map Syrup

Yeast nutrient and 3 packs US-05

Water Into Barleywine

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 19.00
Anticipated OG: 1.10628 Plato: 25.119
Anticipated SRM: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 95.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
52.6 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
21.1 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
13.2 2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.03400 2
7.9 1.50 lbs. Maple Syrup Generic 1.03100 35
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.03400 55
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.03300 90

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 74.3 60 min.
1.33 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 17.50

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 60

I was wondering when u add the mapple syrup? Just before the end of the boil?

I see the OP says a "huge starter" and others refer to their "enormous starter". If I'm doing a 5.5g batch is a 2L starter about right? I've never done a beer this big before and so I'm not sure what an OG that high will need.

This is the next recipe on my to-do list. And inspired by one of my local favorites, I'm planning on bourbon "barrel" aging it. However, I've never done that before. Assuming I'm looking to do a 5.5g batch, how much oak and bourbon should I use and at what point in fermentation should I do. Other post I've read seem to vary but generally it seems like 1½-2 weeks in secondary is the norm. Does this seem about right for a barleywine?

MunchyKilldozer.jpg

This is the next recipe on my to-do list. And inspired by one of my local favorites, I'm planning on bourbon "barrel" aging it. However, I've never done that before. Assuming I'm looking to do a 5.5g batch, how much oak and bourbon should I use and at what point in fermentation should I do. Other post I've read seem to vary but generally it seems like 1½-2 weeks in secondary is the norm. Does this seem about right for a barleywine?

I've used oak chips on an ipa before and it came out very oaky, too much for my liking. I feel liked you'd want to Secondary age it in the oak, then rack out of the barrel. I've never used one but i'd assume the high alc content plus high hop content could help with not having a over oaked beer. 1-2 weeks is normal with oak chips, however im not sure about the barrel.

I've used oak chips on an ipa before and it came out very oaky, too much for my liking. I feel liked you'd want to Secondary age it in the oak, then rack out of the barrel. I've never used one but i'd assume the high alc content plus high hop content could help with not having a over oaked beer. 1-2 weeks is normal with oak chips, however im not sure about the barrel.

I might have been unclear. I'm planning to use oak chips (not lucky enough to have an actual barrel). You think 1-2 weeks with the chips and then bottle and put it away for a while?

I might have been unclear. I'm planning to use oak chips (not lucky enough to have an actual barrel). You think 1-2 weeks with the chips and then bottle and put it away for a while?

Hmmm, maybe because the beer is big it will help, but id be safe and use only 1oz. my experience with oaking my ipa did not go well. Although, you could pasteurize(put them in boiling water to take some of the potency away) them and then soak them in some whiskey or something for a couple of days and it might give you less of an overriding oak affect.

Just finished brewing this up. OG 1.100.
What's everyone hitting for there FG? How long is everyone aging this before drinking.

Mine stopped a little higher then i'd like, around 1.034 i think. I'm getting ready to bottle, i still need to dry hop and probably will this week. Puts me around the 7 or 8 month mark i think.

i'm currently planning this brew soon, I'll pitch on the yeast cake of a light Blond Ale I have in the Carboy.

I'm thinking of replacing the maple syrup by its equivalent gravity points in american 2-row, what do you guys think?

The maple syrup is expensive at the grocery and I don't have a family member who could sell me his harvest (i'm canadian ;) )

i'm currently planning this brew soon, I'll pitch on the yeast cake of a light Blond Ale I have in the Carboy.

I'm thinking of replacing the maple syrup by its equivalent gravity points in american 2-row, what do you guys think?

The maple syrup is expensive at the grocery and I don't have a family member who could sell me his harvest (i'm canadian ;) )

Gravity-wise I'm sure it would work but personally I loved the slight maple taste that the syrup gave me when I made it.

^ I agree. I used grade B maple syrup and my beer has a strong maple flavor. It does make for an expensive brew but it's one that can be savored for quite awhile.

Thanks, I'll have to try it, (WITH the maple)

I really hope it does taste, just that I have read this thread and I was concerned it would show in the taste.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=273036

There was no Flaked Rye at my LHBS, I took the equivalent in gravity points of malted rye, i guess its going to be ok anyone tried?

I'M also wondering what kind of hop bill did you go for the second runnings? I have EKG, lemondrop,azacca and centennial in big quantities..

Just a heads up, I did an Hybrid IPA with the second runnings, I ended with 15L with a OG of 1.055

I used the following hops that I had in stock :
17g Chinook - 60 min
13g EKG - 60 min
43g EKG - 20 min

I just tasted the sampler (now at 1.016) and it taste REALLY GOOD ( i was afraid because the wort was Bitter as hell but its now very good )

I don't talk much about the Barleywine because I need to let it sit for long (and keep the temptation away)

I wish I'd sparged more to have more of this :p

Just a heads up, I did an Hybrid IPA with the second runnings, I ended with 15L with a OG of 1.055

I used the following hops that I had in stock :
17g Chinook - 60 min
13g EKG - 60 min
43g EKG - 20 min

I just tasted the sampler (now at 1.016) and it taste REALLY GOOD ( i was afraid because the wort was Bitter as hell but its now very good )

I don't talk much about the Barleywine because I need to let it sit for long (and keep the temptation away)

I wish I'd sparged more to have more of this :p

Cool, thanks for the tip. Might try that myself:mug:
what yeast did you use for the second runnings?

what yeast did you use for the second runnings?

I use the yeast cake of WLP001 for the Barleywine so I just took a little bit of it
and made starter for the Second runnings as well.

Its a little less dry than Nothingham (Ithink) but its pretty neutral and I wanted to try this yeast :p I think it will be similar.

I brewed this over a year ago. Let it sit in the secondary for about 6 months then bottle conditioned for 4. The first bottle i opened sound like a damn champagne bottle opening. It's very smooth and the maple syrup give its an interesting sweet burn. Mine was not nearly as efficient as others on this thread but its still around 9%. Color and hop profile on this are great. I'd probably brew it again and maybe add half the maple syrup at flame out half right when primary fermentation was a couple of days in. I didn't use a starter but used 3 packs of yeast.

Will post a pick of the beer soon.

I brewed this back in November but increased the maple a bit to get a slightly higher OG. After a month in primary I transferred onto 0.1 oz oak/gal (boiled 5-10 minutes). After three more months I added another 0.1 oz/gal and a month after that it is tasting really great. I've never gotten the really nice vanilla notes from oak until now, I think its from smaller amounts over longer periods of time. I will likely bottle some as is, some with bourbon and some with madeira.

I brewed this back in November but increased the maple a bit to get a slightly higher OG. After a month in primary I transferred onto 0.1 oz oak/gal (boiled 5-10 minutes). After three more months I added another 0.1 oz/gal and a month after that it is tasting really great. I've never gotten the really nice vanilla notes from oak until now, I think its from smaller amounts over longer periods of time. I will likely bottle some as is, some with bourbon and some with madeira.

Finally cracked a bottle of my bourbon/oak version of this (brewed in Nov, bottled in May). First off, I was thrilled with the carb and head retention for an 11.3% brew. Lots of fig and raisin on the nose. Taste is caramel, fig, plum, and the maple is surprisingly noticeable. Little bit of bourbon and oak in there, I almost get a kind of nutmeg type of spiciness from the oak. Very slight alcohol burn, needs time to mellow and integrate. Probably won't open any more bottles for another 2 months but really happy with it overall.

20160724_191104_zpskv8st95x.jpg

Back