Slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Hi

Issues with fermentation.....again! I pitched an older 0.5 litre starter into a 1 litre starter, of 1214. not alot of activity in the starter for 3 days. could see an increase in yeast count, visually, small amount of foam.

I have anot quite sealed fermenter, which is doing this, and i pitched the beer 3 days ago. bubbling 6-8 hours after pitching, and stopped around 18 hours later, no activity since, looking today i can see maybe an inch starting to clear, and things dropping out, I think the yeast may be pooped?
batch size 3 gallons
OG 1.038
3 days in at 1.022
I mashed at 70.5 degrees to keep some sweetness to the beer, expecting an FG of probably 1.012ish.
I'll be checking again in 2 days, with continuous swirling morning evening and before bed. there was a good whiff of CO2, which i guess is a good sign.
I'm just concerned its pooped out too early, fermented at 19-20 degrees celsius. I've increased temp to 22, which is 71 F.
I have T-58 yeast , so if it hasn't moved I'll be pitching that after racking. into a sealed vessel this time. last time, i had a sticking ferment, I put it into a non-sealed vessel and ended up with an infection because the yeast didn't take and i used a poorly sanitised cloth...

any advice??
anyone had experience with 1214 pooping out.
I thought it'd have been a bit of a monster??
I've had 2 issues with sticking ferments, bpoth in smaller batches and smaller vessells.

One other question, If i make a 3 gallon batch, can i put it fermenter I use for 5-6 gallon batches.

this is a clone recipe from a local brewery, and my local brew club are expecting tasters... GGrrrrrrrrr

Some Belgian strains can putter out if temps don't get high enough, thus it's important to pitch a good starter and let it ramp up to a relatively high temperature- something closer to 75-79˚F or so (don't quote me on this).

Quick question: hydrometer or refractometer for SG readings?

One other question, If i make a 3 gallon batch, can i put it fermenter I use for 5-6 gallon batches.

Absolutely, not an issue at all.

Some Belgian strains can putter out if temps don't get high enough, thus it's important to pitch a good starter and let it ramp up to a relatively high temperature- something closer to 75-79˚F or so (don't quote me on this).

Quick question: hydrometer or refractometer for SG readings?

Absolutely, not an issue at all.

Hydro reading. Can tell it doesnt taste right, I'll be picking up another one today to double check the readings and checking tonight, if I'm right and its still working, then the theory is that I should have dropped a point?
if not I'll be pitching a re-hydrated T-58 after racking to my 5 gallon fermenter.

although I do have a Smack pack of 1214?? if i direct pitch this how much growth will i get? the original plan was to grow a cake for a big belgian strong, but i'm thinking I might make a stepped starter for this strong beer, and maybe a second pack, and do 2 separate 2 litre starters, which gives me plenty of cells for high gravity?

Other option is another lower gravity beer for the cake... 1.057ish? belgian red. I'm thinking that might be my best plan.

+1 to the above
If you continue having issues with fermentation then it is time to evaluate how you are making your starters and handling your yeast as well as controlling your fermentation temperatures:)

first yeast with starter I've had an issue with. the other ones, have been with dry yeast. S-04 mainly.
Just pisses me off rreally.. mind my language.

Back