High FG on Last Two Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjthomas21

Reaction score
I bottled two beers in the last two days and I noticed that both of my beers were significantly higher in FG that I had expected. The Pale Ale was 1.021 (expected FG around 1.013) and a Stout that was close to 1.030 (supposed to be around 1.016). I brewed both of these beers on the same day and the fact that they both were high in their FG makes me wonder if I have a flaw in my process somewhere (rather than a stalled fermentation). Does anybody have any input or thought on where I might have a problem? I have some thoughts in my head as to what could be the issue but if anybody has anything else I should check please let me know your thoughts.

Possible Issues
  • Mash temperature too high (going to calibrate my thermometer tonight and use a second during future brews)
  • Hydrometer readings incorrect (used a second hydrometer and confirmed the FG readings and they both read 1.001 in my tap water)
  • Bottled too soon (I only took a hydrometer reading after I bottled as I had assumed 16/17 days in the fermenter was sufficient. For future purposes, will take multiple FG readings before bottling).

Below are the too recipes and details about the brew (note both are BIAB).

Orange Pale Ale
9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Coriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 10 min
Yeast: Rehydrated Safale-04 (1 Pack)
Mashed at 156/155 for 60 minutes.
In Primary for 11 days @ around 65 degrees
Cold crashed for 5 days @ 40 degrees (added gelatin)

Mint Chocolate Stout
8 lbs. Pale 2-Row (UK)
1 lb. Flaked Barley
0.5 lb. Carafa III
0.5 lb. Crystal 40
0.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
1.75 oz. East Kent Goldings (4.5% AA) 60 min.
4-5 oz. unsweetened cocoa powder (last 5 of the boil)
10 peppermint tea bags (last 10 of the boil)
Yeast: 1L starter of WLP004, crashed and decanted.
Mashed at 156 for 60 minutes
In primary for 17 days

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

My guess is that your mash temp is to high. You are already mashing at 156. Your thermometer doesn't have to be off by much to explain the lack of fermentables.
Other possibility is that you're simply fermenting at too low a temp. Try ramping up to 71 as things stop

Neither recipe is particularly high in unfermentables, so as long as you're mashing for an hour, I would suspect that your mash thermometer is off. Both WLP004 and S-04 are fairly flocculant, so if they got too cool towards the end of fermentation they may have dropped out early. What are your fermentation temperatures?

The fermenters are stored in my bathroom on the tile floor and the temperature was kept at 65/66 degrees via the thermostat. I had a cup of water on the floor with a thermometer on it and it will probably closer to 62/63 degrees.

Fermentation generates heat. Your fermentation temps were likely much warmer than that, but 62 might cause some early flocculation or slow fermentation especially if the main fermentation was a lot warmer.

only thing I can see is fermentation temps being on the higher side. Everything else looks like it was done textbook. Maybe they just needed a bit more than 11 days in the primary?

Latest posts

Back