Salt in beer!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptadennis

Reaction score
Got one for ya... My wife and I were brewing a Belgian pale ale. Everything is going great until time to cool wort. We read where you can cool it faster by adding salt to the ice bath. We (she) got a little careless when pouring the salt around brew kettle and about 1/8tsp (just a guesstimate) got in the wort. Will we be OK?

An 8th of a teaspoon in a glass of beer? Salty.

An 8th of a teaspoon in a 5 gallon batch? The difference between using well water and city water to brew with.

In other words, it's very doubtful you'll even be able to detect it, let alone have it be anywhere near enough to offend the senses.

Salt and beer. Two great tastes that go great together. Has anyone tried dry hopping with Lay's potato chips?

Haha! thanks for the responses... Love the idea of dry hopping with Lays!! I too think it will be fine but was just checking on any thoughts.

If the amount really was that small I think you'll be fine too.

One thing I was going to mention, be sure to wash/rinse off your pot well when you use that method. Salt + water can be very corrosive over time; my daughters rusted out '84 Jeep Wagoneer is proof.

the price of a good wort chiller is about the same as tossing a batch of perfectly good beer because you tried to cool it in a nonstandard way and ruined it... trust me I say this from experience :)

Some folks add water salts to get a type of water profile (burton on trent). I also just read a London Ale recipe from Radical Brewing that calls for a teaspoon of salt.
Who knows, you might just have improved the recipe;)

The salt would likely have had more of an effect if it had got into your water before mashing - as it can change the profile of your beer - hence why people add Burton salts etc. Adding a tiny amount at the point of wort cooling will not likely have much of an effect at all...

My ex-wife's father (from Nebraska) used to add a large pinch of salt to every beer he drank - something I could kind of understand when it was crappy BMC type beer, but I was mildly offended when he visited me in Britain. I took him to the pub that served the best beer I've ever tasted, bought him a pint and he proceeded to dose it with about half a teaspoon of salt :eek:

The salt would likely have had more of an effect if it had got into your water before mashing - as it can change the profile of your beer - hence why people add Burton salts etc. Adding a tiny amount at the point of wort cooling will not likely have much of an effect at all...

My ex-wife's father (from Nebraska) used to add a large pinch of salt to every beer he drank - something I could kind of understand when it was crappy BMC type beer, but I was mildly offended when he visited me in Britain. I took him to the pub that served the best beer I've ever tasted, bought him a pint and he proceeded to dose it with about half a teaspoon of salt :eek:

I've known people who do that. It's supposed to cause the head to reform by bringing the CO2 out of solution.

Got one for ya... My wife and I were brewing a Belgian pale ale. Everything is going great until time to cool wort. We read where you can cool it faster by adding salt to the ice bath. We (she) got a little careless when pouring the salt around brew kettle and about 1/8tsp (just a guesstimate) got in the wort. Will we be OK?

Salt lowers the freezing point of water to something below 32F. It doesn't make the water colder, it just allows the water to stay liquid at a lower temp (rather than freeze into ice).

Salt lowers the freezing point of water to something below 32F. It doesn't make the water colder, it just allows the water to stay liquid at a lower temp (rather than freeze into ice).

Adding salt does make the ice bath colder. Ice/water mixtures stay at a constant 32ºF, when you add the salt it lowers the freezing point of the water as you said. In doing so it allows the ice/water mixture to reach a temperature below 32ºF. This might have been what you were trying to say, my apology if it was.

Back