Cooled wort too fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lane19d

Reaction score
I used ice to cool my wort, and dropped it down to 50 degrees...then had to put my yeast in due to time constraints! Did I screw the pooch?

don't know about your possible beastiality, but your beer should be fine.

just let it warm up to recommended fermentation temperature

and leave the poor dog alone

There's really no such thing as cooling your wort too fast. The challenge is usually to chill it more quickly or even get it down below 70*.

Pitching into 50*F wort won't hurt the yeast or the flavor IMO. If your yeast was significantly warmer, it may shock it into dormancy for a while and delay the start of active fermentation, but that's OK.

The one thing to NOT do is to try and artificially warm it up. Let it come around to about 65*F on its own and try to keep it there for the first week. When it gets there, give the fermenter a gentle swirl with the lid on to help re-suspend the yeast.

GrogNerd said:
don't know about your possible beastiality, but your beer should be fine.

just let it warm up to recommended fermentation temperature

and leave the poor dog alone

Lol, the dog says thank you...and I appreciate the help!

I wish I could cool my wort to 50. I don't even know if my water gets that cold. Maybe in the winter...

It's actually beneficial to pith cold and allow to risers fermentation temperature for a controlled growth phase:)

There's really no such thing as cooling your wort too fast. The challenge is usually to chill it more quickly or even get it down below 70*.

Pitching into 50*F wort won't hurt the yeast or the flavor IMO. If your yeast was significantly warmer, it may shock it into dormancy for a while and delay the start of active fermentation, but that's OK.

This...

The yeast will wake back up when the wort warms up.

Relax.

Revvy said:
This...

The yeast will wake back up when the wort warms up.

Relax.

Wow! I think that's the shortest answer I've ever seen from you! :mug:

Latest posts

Back