Stout or Porter shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb619

Reaction score
I am considering brewing a coffee/chocolate porter or a coconut stout. I don't want to keg it because I am not sure how long it would take be to drink all 5 gallons. Does anyone know how long this would stay good for if I bottled it and put it in my pantry which averages 65-72 degrees? Thanks!

That's funny, I was just telling the SWMBO that I have all these bottles around (I generally keg) and was thinking of brewing something I could age. With that said, any idea's and how long should I age it? Thanks

as long as it high enough gravity it'll last quite some time.. i'll keg 90% of my beers, drink half and bottle the other half off the keg.. that way i can free up my kegs for the next batch and still have some available for drinking/sharing/competitions

How long to age depends on a lot of different variables. The two main variables being the abv and the amount of highly kilned/roasted malts used. The higher the abv and higher % of highly kilned/roasted malts, the longer you will want to ideally age a beer. I brewed a 9.25% Baltic Porter that I should have waited 1 yr to begin drinking, but started to drink at 1 month in bottles. It was good fresh, but amazing at 1yr when It was all gone. My 5% abv milk stout took 4 months in bottles to get good and is excellent at 7 months.

Back