Small container (non-HLT) HERMS tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
I was considering the idea of using a small container for a HERMS setup, expecting it to act more like a RIMS tube with the benefit of the wort not touching the actual heating element (and easier cleanup). I haven't really seen any examples of the concept around. Anyone have any links or thoughts on the idea?

I was thinking of using something like a large Bain Marie insert container, or something like it:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/bmp12/p377337.aspx

The HERMS setup would be strickly for recirculating the wort during mash. This isn't intended to act as a hot liquor tank (i.e. I won't be using the water for anything). And I'm really talking small batches of 5 gallons or so, so the thermal demand isn't especially high and I'd probably use a short 1000W HD water heater element that would fit in such a container.

thanks in advance.

With my old system I had a 2 gallon cooler with a 1500 W 120VAC element in it and a 25foot copper coil in it.

It was nice because I did not need to re heat water after draining half the HLT to fill the mash. but with a 5500W 240VAC element in the HLT, the recovery time is ~15min its not much of a problem.

Here is the OLD thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-crack-head-herms-45459/

I have one that has a 4.5m long, 8mm OD copper coil, 2kw element. It has a PT-100 on the wort out and is put into a stainless thermos. PID controlled and keeps mash temp within 0.1-0.2 degr C.

It has less than 2L water in it so it is really fast-acting. IMO it is the best from both RIMS and HERMS combined. No scorching, no enzyme deactivation (as far as I can tell). And the coil withe the small diameter is just the right resistance for my IWAKI MD-20 pump.
Pic's below. It's a bit ghetto, but I'm working on a new brewery with 100L capasity thet will have a 6" ss tube with TC in both ends containing a 12m long 1/2" SS tube and 6kw three-phase element. I will also test to see if I can use it as a form of counterflow chiller. Don't know if that will work though.

2012-01-24 22.47.40.jpg

2012-01-24 22.47.17.jpg

Back