1 carb'd beer, 3 flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I bottled my first AG brew on 4/8. I threw one in the fridge about 2 weeks later to see where it was at, and waited 2 days. I attempted to clone Widmer Brothers' Drop Top Amber Ale

ForumRunner_20130508_003052.jpg

So I put another one in, waited a few days and when I poured it, it came out pretty flat. Tried again with another one and same thing. I haven't tried another one since then, but I'm confused why this happened.
I boiled my priming sugar and lactose sugar, and added them to my bottling bucket, which is my Mr Beer keg, before siphoning the beer in.

I find a gentle stir once the keg or bucket is full helps a lot. Just racking onto the priming sugar left me with the same results while others have had good luck. YMMV

And I also run about 1/3 of a bottle out and put it back in to ensure extra sugar is not in the spigot/first beer which could also over carb it

Rick

Brewmex41 said:
I bottled my first AG brew on 4/8. I threw one in the fridge about 2 weeks later to see where it was at, and waited 2 days. I attempted to clone Widmer Brothers' Drop Top Amber Ale

So I put another one in, waited a few days and when I poured it, it came out pretty flat. Tried again with another one and same thing. I haven't tried another one since then, but I'm confused why this happened.
I boiled my priming sugar and lactose sugar, and added them to my bottling bucket, which is my Mr Beer keg, before siphoning the beer in.

What were your OG and FG readings? How much sugar did you use? What temp are your bottles stored at?

These all could contribute to lack of carbonation.

It's likely one of two things:

Inadequate mix of sugar at bottling-as mentioned, try giving a gentle swirl after racking to ensure a good mix

Poor capping, check to be sure all caps are tight (least likely but can happen, especially using twist off bottles)

IMO, they will all eventually carbonate, 2 weeks is kind of early so be patient

Well,I have to go with something revvy said before. Batches of bottled beers carb at slightly different rates from the outside bottles (around the outer parimiter of the box,tub,etc) to the inner bottles. This in regard to room temp,or proximity to a heat source. Mine seem to do that to one degree or other. I also had the bell on my red baron wing capper go south,as the caps would leak as the room got warmer. I was getting wiffs of malt here & there.
So I got a super agata bench capper,& that seems to have cured that part of the problem. Interesting lil experiment on the last batch I bottled.
My 2nd version of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lager (light one) had a mix of left over Brewer's Best caps I had a whole bag of laying around. And a small number of o2 barrier caps I had left. I opened 2 last night,one o2 & one BB capped. The BB capped one had great carbonation,even though both,for being PM's had cleared well. The BB capped one had lil mushroom clouds of fine bubbled carbonation bursting off the bottom of my Thirsty Dog glass till the bottom. The o2 barrier ones were nearly the same,but seemed to not last quite as long in regard to the vigorousness of the rising bubbles.
So temp through the boxes of bottles & how well they're primed & physically sealed all matter to one extent or other...:tank:

Ok thanks for the input. I'll let them sit and make sure priming sugar is mixed throughout next time.

Back