Groelsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnerhaus

Reaction score
I recently bought 24 16 oz. Groelsch bottles to use for bottling part of my first home brew and I've heard the gaskets need changed from time to time so I was wondering if these would be sufficient to use for now?

image-137866509.jpg

You'll get a lot of use out of the original ones. Remember they've really only been used ONCE before.

A lot of folks blame them for lack of carbonation when they open the bottles...but when you question them further, you find out the reason their bottles aren't carbed isn't because of the gaskets on the bottles, it's because they opened them TOO SOON. A pint bottle needs 4-5 weeks at 70 degrees for average gravity beers to carb up usually.

I bottle exclusively with Grolsch bottles. Dish washing probably wouldn't hurt them...might reduce their lifespan, though, especially if you use a heated drying cycle. The dishwasher is really not necessary, though. I soak in OxyClean, then in StarSan. Never had any contamination. I used to use bleach only and never had a problem. The gaskets are very durable if you don't abuse them. If you start seeing cracks, then you can order some replacements (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/grolsch-gaskets.html; not nearly as nice) from Midwest or buy from your LHBS.

If anyone knows where to get replacement silicone gaskets for them, please do tell.

Dishwasher never hurt mine. It was 6 years before I replaced the original seals. Just make sure you rinse any yeast or sediment out of the bottle before running it through. Otherwise it can get baked in there and result in bottle infections.

One of the secrets to keeping a longer life on the seal is storing them open when they are not full.

Back