How does this sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
I want to move over to the big boys and make a great wee heavy and after reading about the style I have come up with his and want to run it across you guys to see if it would stay in style. I also want to use honey instead of priming sugar to carb it. So here it is

Twisted Kilt wee Heavy
15 # light DME
1# crystal 60l
3.4 oz Chocolate Malt
3.5 oz Peated Malt
2.5 oz Brown Malt

1 oz northern Brewer pellet hops (10% AA) for 60 min

Nottingham after cool to 70*

Then 1 Scottish Ale 1728 2 days after?

Yeast nutrient

Steep the grains in 1 gallon of 150-degree F water for 30 minutes. Sparge with 1 gallon of 150 F water. Add 1 gallon water and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add the Dry Malt Extract. Bring to boil, stirring regularly. Add 1 ounce Northern Brewer hop pellets.

2 weeks in primary @ 60* then transfer to secondary @ 58 for 4 weeks prime with ¾ cup honey and bottle for 3 weeks then try to not over indulge.

Hooking up your ingredients to BS2,but exactly what is a wee heavy concidered to be? Strong scotch ale 1.070-1.1030 9E? or scottish heavy 70/- 1.035-1.040 9B? Going with strong scotch ale,BS2's BJCP guidlines say it's also know as "wee heavy". That answers that question. Doesn't give much ingredient-wise. Just well modified pale malt,with up to 3% roasted barley. May use some crystal malt for color adjustment;sweetness usually comes not from crystal malts rather from low hopping,high mash temperatures,& kettle caramelization. A small portion of smoked malt may add depth,though a peaty character (sometimes percieved as earthy or smokey) may also originate from the yeast or native water. Hop presence is minimal,although English varieties are most authentic. Fairly soft water is typical.
They give no other info on grains & such. The numbers are;
OG 1.070-1.130
FG 1.018-1.030
Color 14-25 SRM
IBU 17-35
Carbonation 1.6-2.4 vco2
ABV% 6.5-10%

I built mine in BS2 using the Strong Scotch ale 9e. On tap now and excellent!
15.5lb Golden Promise
3lb flaked barley
1lb crystal 40
1lb crystal 75
.38lb Cara-pils
1oz Northern Brewer 60 min
WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast

2.5 weeks primary and 2.5 months in secondary.

BTW Your recipe sounds good to me. I don't know anything about priming with honey - check a calculator for amounts. If yours turns out like mine --DO NOT over indulge! 10% ABV! 3 8oz glasses per night is my limit.

Make sure you give it extra time to bottle condition/carb if you're using honey for priming - it's harder for the yeast to utilize than corn sugar/ table sugar/ rice solids. And listen to Unionrdr as far as recipe formulation. He has helped a great many of us on the forum and knows his stuff.

From a traditional style point of view, the peat smoked malt is out of style. You'll find lots of people who will tell you to get rid of it. If you want a traditional wee heavy then get rid of it. If you want some peaty smoke in there keep it. Just be careful, it is powerful stuff and a little can go a long way.

Thanks for the info I am going to take out the peat and use roasted barley. How much longer should I leave it to bottle condition with honey?

You don't need two yeast strains- instead, make an appropriately sized starter with Wyest 1728.

I'd probably not use peated OR roasted barley OR brown malt, and instead use pale chocolate malt if you can find it. I'd also use a tad (.25 pound) of crystal 120L or special B for the depth of flavor and richness that I love in Wee Heavy. I like a bit of sweetness, but not too much, so last time I used some honey malt in mine as well.

I've never bottle conditioned with honey, but it shouldn't be any longer than bottle conditioning with something like DME.

Huh. so many on here used peated malt,I figured it was to style. Gotta read 9E again...ok,under 9E's profile; ...Peaty,earthy &/or smokey secondary aromas may also be present,adding complexity...so a little is exceptable & to style.

Awe, I figured it out a "scotch ale" tends to be a big meaty beer. Although both styles use a lot of the same ingredients, Scotch uses a lot more of them and brewers will occasionally throw in some smoked malt to give it a earthy or smoky character. Scotch ales usually have a lot more alcohol, from 6.5 to 10% and a Scottish is more of a session.

Would this be more accurate?

Back