East coast brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianofadams

Reaction score
Headed to New Jersey next month, and was wondering if there's any must have "east coast only" beers over there I should try! I'm flying into Newark, thirty minutes away from New York City, so that's an option too! :)

Im from NJ and theres a bunch to offer. Flying fish and River Horse have a few good styles that are bottled. Kane Brewing in Ocean, NJ is a small brewery that offer growler fills ( no bottles) on weekends of great ipa iipa and stouts. Also a few other local area beers that dont get distributed too far away from east coast. Check out seekabrew.com

Hope this helps.

If you go to New York go to Rattle n Hum. I went a couple years back. Great beer bar. My favorite east coast onlys were Cigar City humidor series Jai Lai IPa(though any are good, Maduro is one of the best Brown Ales I've ever had and I'm not a big fan of browns), Lefthand Milkstout, Southern Tier(I'm in Cali, you may get this depending on what state you're in). Also, it's worth it to have a nice cold Yuenglings in a crappy bar.

What type if beers do you normally favor?

Bells Two Hearted
Ithaca Flower Power
Flying Fish Exit 16

Well, overall I love stouts and porters, but I've been getting into a lot of ipa's lately. I enjoy wheat beers quite a bit too. Pretty much anything, I'm not big on browns but I'll have to give that one a shot!

Well, overall I love stouts and porters, but I've been getting into a lot of ipa's lately. I enjoy wheat beers quite a bit too. Pretty much anything, I'm not big on browns but I'll have to give that one a shot!

Stouts and porters. Left Hand was my favorite, but I had a number of small batch local stouts. I was there in early November though. Every single one I had was great. In particular I had some wonderful oyster stouts. Also had KBS and CBS at a place called The Gingerbread Man in NY. IMO, as hard as it is to find a bad IPA on the West Coast, unless you frequent Pyramid Brewhouses, it seemed equally as hard to find a bad stout on the East Coast.

Kane and Carton are musts if you're in NJ. Can't get them normally in anything other than Bars, or by going to their brewery, but they're both great growing breweries. Kane has a few big bottles.

As far as some of NJ's better brews (I'll ignore the whole East Coast part cause there's way too many) and I don't know where these will be available, River Horse's Hop Hazard, Hopalotamus and Tripel Horse, Flying Fish's Exit 4, Exit 16, and Red Fish, Kane's Head High and Overhead (not sure who's out for limited release) Carton's 077XX and Boat Beer, Cricket Hill's Hopnotic, and ther'es a few more I'm forgetting I know.

Back