Came home to find that my secondary was unplugged!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So After transferring my dryhopped IPA last night into a secondary for a quick crash cool before bottling, I opened my chest freezer today to find that the damn plug had popped out and the carboy was just fully open. I checked on it this morning as I left for work so it was plugged from atleast 10oclock on and I came home at 8. What are the chances that this batch is either oxidized or infected?! Havent had this happen before and it was a special batch of beer. Will someone please chime in so I can (EDIT: hopefully) RDWHBW!:mug:

If your freezer was not full of mold spores you are very likely okay. The CO2 layer in your secondary would have prevented any oxidation.
Pour one and relax.

I once dry hopped a beer for a week with an undrilled carboy bung. it would keep popping out all week. carboy was left open for hours at a time. I would just clean it and put it back in every time. beer came out great.

Back