Adding more sulphite to wine kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made several wines but I'm now using my first Wine Expert kit. Paperwork with it says they use very low amounts of sulphites and that if you plan to age the wine over 6 months you should add more.
I try to keep a good size inventory so I can age a long time, all my wines age over a year, some get cellared for a few years.
Do you think it is necesarry to add more sulphite than comes with the kit? I've never done it with other kits but they didn't say anything about having low amounts to begin with. If so, how much would you suggest? Thanks.

I've made several wines but I'm now using my first Wine Expert kit. Paperwork with it says they use very low amounts of sulphites and that if you plan to age the wine over 6 months you should add more.
I try to keep a good size inventory so I can age a long time, all my wines age over a year, some get cellared for a few years.
Do you think it is necesarry to add more sulphite than comes with the kit? I've never done it with other kits but they didn't say anything about having low amounts to begin with. If so, how much would you suggest? Thanks.

Yes. Sulfites are an antioxidant and preservative. Normally they are used in wine to prevent oxidation and to allow the wine to age a little bit without suffering.

If you have campden tablets, one crushed campden tablet per gallon (generally, as the kits tend to be 6 gallon) dissolved in a little boiling water is the correct dose. Just crush and dissolve the tablets, and pour the solution into the bottling bucket and rack the wine into it.

For powdered k-meta, it's 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons usually (but check the dosage for your brand!). So, a tad over a 1/4 teaspoon of the powder again dissolved in a little water and stirred well and then the wine is racked into it.

Back