Countertop electric build-- please help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkziemann

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently decided to try and do the same build that Jeff Karpinski did here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/countertop-brutus-20-a-131411/

To put it simply, I'm completely lost as to how to build it. After 51 pages of information, random bits here and there on the web and many hours of reading, I'm still not sure how to start. I have a bunch of equipment ready to go and people willing to build the PID box for me, but at this point I still feel like a total idiot.

Is there anyone willing to break it down and help me piece it together? I'm happy to answer any questions about what I have and what I know so far, and in return will do a complete step-by-step build (with pictures) of this so I can post it for others.

Thanks!

I guess everything confuses me a bit :drunk:

I understand the concept of no sparge, but I haven't found schematics for the PID box and the way he re routes the plumbing has me confused. I hate to ask you guys to break it down, but I honestly don't get how it's all pieced together!

Okay, here are some more specific questions:

I want to make this a 5 gallon system as opposed to the mini system that Jeff uses. Do I still use the same heating element, and will that be enough to boil 6 gallons of wort? Do I use two? Do I use a higher wattage element? Does this change how the PID box is built?

Where is the temperature probe for the PID box? How does the box regulate temperature?

Do I need a heavy duty brew kettle, or would an economy kettle do just fine? How many ports do I need in my kettle?

Thanks!

Have you read Kal's website? It answered a ton of questions for me as far how it works what it is. I like you, started with little knowledge on the subject but managed to figure it out with many many hours of reading/research.

theelectricbrewery.com

Corey

I just finished my Countertop Brutus (Jkarp) clone about 2 months ago. I didn't take any pictures during the build (too forgetful/focused on getting it done :eek:).

If you have any questions shoot me a message. I know it took me several reads and re-reads of the thread to get everything put together.

I have a 2kw 120v element inside a Bayou Classic. The whole thing is wrapped in Reflectix. I will try and post pictures when I brew next time.

Back