Hop schedule for SMaSH Simcoe IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing up a SMaSH Simcoe IIPA this weekend but cannot decide on my hopping schedule. This will be my first "big" IPA so any suggestions would be helpful.

Malt bill: 16 lbs Maris Otter

Based on 13% AA

Hop schedule #1 (93.2 IBU):

1 oz @ FWH
2 oz @ 20 min
2 oz @ 5 min
1 oz @ 0 Min

or

Hop Schedule #2 (83.4 IBU):

2 oz @ 20 Min
2 oz @ 10 Min
2 oz @ 5 Min

Either schedule will be dry hopped with an additional 2 oz.

I will be using 2 packets of BRY-97 West Coast yeast (my new favorite.)

Thanks in advance.

Joe

I made a Vienna simcoe smash ipa with something like
1oz fwh
1oz 15min
1oz 10min
1oz 5min
1oz after cooling to 150F with a 20min hop stand.
2oz dry hop

The simcoe flavor was fantastic and after a few extra weeks in bottles the Vienna really shined but the simcoe flavor was still there. It was my girlfriend's favorite beer.

1 oz FWH
2 oz @ 20
3 oz hops steep @ flameout, 45 mins held at 170f then allowed to cool
1 oz dry hop 5 days

You're targeting an OG in the 1.080's, correct? If so, 6 oz. total hops for an IIPA is very weak. Double that amount and you can call it a big IIPA. These beers are focused on the hops, not the malt or yeast per se. With 16 lbs. rich Maris Otter, the malt character will overshadow the hops, and you'll have a very full, heavy beer with low hop flavor and aroma.

If the grist remains unchanged, I would recommend mashing at 149 F and going with a 90 minute boil with the following hop schedule for a 5.5 gal batch:

2.5 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 30
4 oz @ whirlpool
5 oz @ dryhop

I FWH a lot of my beers, but believe that an IIPA needs a 60(or 90) min addition.

Id skip the 20 min addition in favor of 15, 10, 5, and a large whirlpool/aroma steep

so maybe something like this

whatever you need to get to IBU's at 60 min after calculating the rest

1.5 oz 15
1.5 oz 10
1.5 oz 5
2-3 oz whirlpool at 185 dg for 30-60 min, assume 25-30% utilization for IBU's.

Also, IMO FG is way more important than OG when looking at IBU's and balance.

You're targeting an OG in the 1.080's, correct? If so, 6 oz. total hops for an IIPA is very weak. Double that amount and you can call it a big IIPA. These beers are focused on the hops, not the malt or yeast per se. With 16 lbs. rich Maris Otter, the malt character will overshadow the hops, and you'll have a very full, heavy beer with low hop flavor and aroma.

If the grist remains unchanged, I would recommend mashing at 149 F and going with a 90 minute boil with the following hop schedule for a 5.5 gal batch:

2.5 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 30
4 oz @ whirlpool
5 oz @ dryhop

WOO! 16 lbs of MO and 13 ounces of Simcoe!? This is going to be one costly (but tasty) brew!

12.5 oz ;)

"Big" IIPA's kind of require an inordinate amount of hops and they are notorious for being very costly brews. You could even go to 16 oz. hops here if you knew what you were doing.

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to drop the grain to 14lbs. So it is now a matter of choosing what schedule to go with.

Back