Can I Grow Hops Here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJP

Reaction score
Wanting to plant some more hops and this is the best place for direct sunlight. It is next to my driveway and approximately 14-16 inches wide. Is this enough room. Plan is to grow them straight up about 8 feet and then over then driveway upwards. they would be growing towards the South which would be perfect. The question is... is that raised bed wide enough? Its deffinately long enough.

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

Should be fine, assuming that the wood and concrete slab only goes a few inches down your roots should have no issues later in life.

My understanding is that the roots go down pretty deep and don't spread too wide...I hack back the laterals with my shovel with no ill effect, not really any different than what they do to get rhizomes, just less graceful. So yes, you should be fine, your neighbors might not be excited though :).

Going into the third year with my hop beds, I've found the roots will go wherever they need and can go. If they can't go deep, they'll go wide...

Cheers!

I'd grow varieties that like warm roots. That concrete will radiate out a bunch of excess heat into the nearby soil once the sun has a chance to warm it up over the Summer. Those types of areas are usually where you see pesky annual weeds like crabgrass and knotweed thrive so I'd look at varieties that do well in Yakima and you should be ahead of the game!

Back