Temperature control after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufad

Reaction score
How important is it to keep an ale at a lower temperature (~65) once primary fermentation has finished? For example, if primary fermentation finishes after 1 week, would it be harmful for the beer sit at 72-74 for 2-3 more weeks? It's my understanding that stressing out yeast during primary will result in off-flavours (esters, higher order alcohols), but is this true once the yeast have settled out?

You don't want to let it get too warm but the earlier it is in fermentation the more important temp control is. I don't think that letting it warm up a little bit once it stabilizes at the FG would be too much of a worry.

As long as you're not too warm (high 70s+) and don't have wild temp swings you'll be fine. It's common practice to bottle condition at room temp... This doesn't affect the flavor profile because primary is done

As long as you're not too warm (high 70s+) and don't have wild temp swings you'll be fine. It's common practice to bottle condition at room temp... This doesn't affect the flavor profile because primary is done

I was more concerned with a large yeast cake being at elevated temperatures, and the potential for a small amount of stress on a large amount of yeast producing a discernable amount of off-flavors once primary is over. I'm not surprised that the relatively small amount of yeast (compared to the primary) used to bottle condition don't produce detectable off-flavors at room temperature.

Back