American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdWort said:
This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

Gggghh

Brewing this today.

Had to adjust for 82% efficiency, 10.5 gallon batch size and Great Western's Crystal 15 on the left coast.

My Cascade comes in at a wimpy 4.1% AA, so instead of dumping in massive quantities of Cascade to compensate, I've removed the 60 minute Cascade addition and replaced it with Magnum then balanced it back to the 39 IBU called for in the original recipe. I doubt it will change the flavor much, as 60 minute additions provide very little flavor as it is and I'm replacing it with a neutral bittering hop. Vitals look to be the same.

Here's my result:

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Haus Pale Ale - 2013.04.06
Brewer: Thadius Miller
Asst Brewer: EdWort
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
13 lbs 10.2 oz        Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Wes Grain         1        76.1 %        
3 lbs 6.5 oz          Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         2        19.0 %        
14.1 oz               Crystal 15, 2-Row, (Great Western) (15.0 Grain         3        4.9 %         
1.27 oz               Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        29.4 IBUs     
0.90 oz               Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           5        5.4 IBUs      
0.90 oz               Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           6        3.5 IBUs      
0.45 oz               Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           7        0.7 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 14.8 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 22.91 qt of water at 169.3 F        152.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.75gal, 6.32gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brewed this last night. It was my first AG batch and my first time brewing. Wanted to jump right in. everything went great although I was pretty nervous with being very cautious with sanitation. Only missed the OG by 1 point so I'm feeling pretty great. I scaled the recipe down to 1.5 gallons and the only thing I changed was using US-05.The airlock came to life about 14 hours after pitching. Ferm is reading 64° in my basement.
Really excited to taste the results

I happened to have some extra malt and hops lying about so I decided to give this beer a try. Followed the recipe almost to a T except I didn't have any Vienna so I used Cara Pils instead. I'm a little disappointed that I only got an OG of 1.042 instead of 1.052 but it'll still be beer at the end of the day I suppose...

Came away from brew day with a terrible 61% efficiency pre-boil, bringing me 12 points low coming into the boil (1.031). Not sure how that happened.

Boiled an extra 28 minutes before starting the 60 minute timer so that I'd get to the pre-boil gravity BeerSmith predicted I should have been at (1.043). That brought me down half a gallon lower than planned (to 10.00 gal) of 1.051 into the fermenters, so I hit OG right on the nose.

I usually aim for 5.0-5.2 gallons into the keg, which coves the gas diptube, so force carbing takes a little less CO2. This time I'll probably come out at 4.8, so a little extra headspace to pressurize, but otherwise glad I recovered it.

I've done this recipe before and loved it. However, I was wondering if anybody has made this with pilsener malt as the base malt. I have pils in bulk right now, but was thinking perhaps I should get a few pounds of 2-row in there since the style is more of an APA.

I'm going to brew this for the third time this weekend. But, I can't find Cascade locally. I have an ounce of Centennial, two ounces of Amarillo, a ton of Simcoe, and maybe half an ounce of Cascade. Any recommendations on an alternate hop schedule?

I've done this recipe before and loved it. However, I was wondering if anybody has made this with pilsener malt as the base malt. I have pils in bulk right now, but was thinking perhaps I should get a few pounds of 2-row in there since the style is more of an APA.

I'd go for it with the pilsen, it shouldn't make much difference. Note that pilsen converts a little more easily so you may get a few extra points out of it. At least that's what always happens to me when I use it. FWIW, I just did an APA this past weekend with pilsen as my base malt, mostly because my LHBS was out of 2 row. Everything I've read on here says it makes very little difference taste-wise, it will be a little paler and you'll need to boil for 90 minutes if you believe in the DMS demons.

Cool, thanks for the reassurance. I figured it would be fine. I may still opt for a couple of pounds of 2 row since I'll be picking up the other specialty grains as well but we shall see. I'm also going to be experimenting with a Centennial/ Mt. Hood hop combo. I'm sure it will be tasty anyhow! :mug:

Brewed this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Only change was a 90 minute boil (with a 90 minute hop addition) because it was really cold and windy which led to me having trouble maintaining a good boil for the first 30 minutes....then i ran out of propane....twice...) Other than that, everything went smoothly :)

I did a 10 gallon batch that I split into two fermenters. Pitched Notty into one and S-04 into the other. In the S-04 carboy, I also added a tea that I made with orange zest, bitter orange peel, coriander, and seeds of paradise. I steeped everything in boiling water for ~15 minutes and dumped it all into the carboy. I dry hopped both batches with 1oz of cascade after 1 week in primary and let sit for another week before racking to kegs.

I'm tasting the first samples right now after 3 days on the gas and they are both delicious. A little bit more bitter than planned due to the 90 minute boil but still very balanced and delicious. I think I'll use more orange peel and coriander next time because the flavor and aroma is pretty muted right now. That may change once it has time to condition for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long!).

Here's a pic: A little bit of chill haze and a bit cloudy due to it being the first pint out of the keg but still beautiful!

hauspaleale.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort! :mug:

Brewed this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Only change was a 90 minute boil (with a 90 minute hop addition) because it was really cold and windy which led to me having trouble maintaining a good boil for the first 30 minutes....then i ran out of propane....twice...) Other than that, everything went smoothly :)

I did a 10 gallon batch that I split into two fermenters. Pitched Notty into one and S-04 into the other. In the S-04 carboy, I also added a tea that I made with orange zest, bitter orange peel, coriander, and seeds of paradise. I steeped everything in boiling water for ~15 minutes and dumped it all into the carboy. I dry hopped both batches with 1oz of cascade after 1 week in primary and let sit for another week before racking to kegs.

I'm tasting the first samples right now after 3 days on the gas and they are both delicious. A little bit more bitter than planned due to the 90 minute boil but still very balanced and delicious. I think I'll use more orange peel and coriander next time because the flavor and aroma is pretty muted right now. That may change once it has time to condition for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long!).

Here's a pic: A little bit of chill haze and a bit cloudy due to it being the first pint out of the keg but still beautiful!

hauspaleale.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort! :mug:

Beer would clear up and taste a whole lot better if you changed the glass it was poured in. Try something purple. Looks great anyway!

Made this with just Simcoe and Conan (yeast harvested from Heady Topper.) My friends are convinced it is the best beer I have ever made. My only issue is that Conan attenuates CRAZILY so my FG was lower than I wanted. Next time, I am going use this same recipe, but up the grain a bit.

Absolutely amazing grainbill for a pale ale!

Brewed this about 2 months ago; keg is now nearly empty. Great recipe template that lends itself easily to tinkering. Used crystal 40 in this one; next one I will use completely different hops; some Amarillo would go nicely with the Vienna malt, I think.

Thanks Ed.

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

Sigh...
5 gallons of this will probably get dumped.
I never quite got it to really boil with my crappy stove.
So it is totally my (stove's) fault.
Now I have a heatstick.
It tastes like DMS (I think).
Very unpleasant. Should have known. Tasted like crap in the hydrometer samples every time...
Sucks.
I will try again though.

It got better after a couple weeks. All drunk up now!

My first keg finished force carbing last night. The second is carbing right meow.

Delicious. The warrior I subbed for bittering is a little sharper at the finish, but it's still very very drinkable. I'll be putting it ahead of Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde as-written. Though I think the Centennial Blonde could take the lead back with a simple dry hop of... Centennials.

Pricing using recipe posted previously, using my LHBS for grains and Yakima Valley Hops for bulk hops, comes out to $25.85 for 10.5 gallons. For frame of reference, Cream of Three Crops costs me $24.78 and Centennial Blonde costs me $21.23 for the same batch sizes.

My first keg finished force carbing last night. The second is carbing right meow.

Delicious. The warrior I subbed for bittering is a little sharper at the finish, but it's still very very drinkable. I'll be putting it ahead of Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde as-written. Though I think the Centennial Blonde could take the lead back with a simple dry hop of... Centennials.

Pricing using recipe posted previously, using my LHBS for grains and Yakima Valley Hops for bulk hops, comes out to $25.85 for 10.5 gallons. For frame of reference, Cream of Three Crops costs me $24.78 and Centennial Blonde costs me $21.23 for the same batch sizes.

Thaddius, thanks for the price comparisons. Sometimes I forget to calculate the cost of my brews since I buy most of my grain in bulk. Nice information to know.:mug:

thadius856 said:

Wow! That works out to about a quarter a bottle, if my math is correct. Can't beat that. I've never really done the math on it before. I always assumed it was costing a little less than buying something at the store, but never did I think the savings was that dramatic. Cool! I love his hobby. Now, maybe SWMBO won't mind the hours of brewing if I remind her of "all of the money I'm saving." Probably not.

Right. I didn't include hops shipping price in those figures ($1 per lb) or fuel. But those are negligible costs.

I try to price my beers in pints instead of 12oz bottles, since consumption on draft is different. 10 gallons drinkable works out to 80 pints, or 32 cents per pint.

That, and it's more impressive to tell your buddies that pint they just pulled of your keezer cost you 32 cents to make, than to tell them that bottle of homebrew they're eyeing suspiciously cost you 28 cents to make.

HausPaleAleweb.jpg

This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

HausAle3.jpg

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

After almost reading through this entire thread, I decided I would brew this. Went to the supply store and they never had vienna or crystal. I got carapils and caramunich instead. Then they didn't have any cascade either so I used williamette and chinook I had left over from a previous batch. In the end, I made a completely different beer which tastes pretty damned good nonetheless.

Your LHBS doesn't carry Vienna or Crystal? It's not much of a LHBS then.

Crystal malts are sometimes listed as Caramel malts.

Caramunich? That's some pretty dark stuff, around 35L, while most Vienna malts are around 5-7L. A closer substitute may have been half 2-row, half Munich.

Not surprised you ended up with an entirely different beer.

^ I was light-heartedly recalling how I started out trying to brew this recipe but due to an odd turn of events out of my control, I ended up brewing something completely different. Such is the beauty of brewing; no matter what, good beer is good beer.

I used about 8.5 lbs 2 row pale malt, 2.5 lbs carapils and 1 lbs caramunich. Cascade and Williamette @ 60 mins and Chinook @ 0 mins. So far, it seems to have turned out brilliantly although I've not really had much yet; just bottled it yesterday.

I used about 8.5 lbs 2 row pale malt, 2.5 lbs carapils and 1 lbs caramunich. Cascade and Williamette @ 60 mins and Chinook @ 0 mins. So far, it seems to have turned out brilliantly although I've not really had much yet; just bottled it yesterday.

Let me know how this turns out. I have little bits of most of those hops laying around.

The Pale Ale lasted about 2 weeks. Very good. (Before anyone notices, yes I had a boil over :). My daughter had my attention then when I looked over it was boiling over.). Nothing like drinking a home brew while home brewing.

image-2376301214.jpg

fortyseven said:

Holy carapils Bat-Man!

Enjoying a glass of this right now. This was our choice for our very first all grain brew. Great clear recipe for a beginner and amazing results. Thanks for sharing!

Has anyone dry hopped this with chinook or nugget? I am thinking ahead to hop harvest and what I should have produce this year

Just brewed an extract version of this with a few tweaks. It went something like this:

6.5# Pilsen LME
1.0# Munich LME
8 oz. Carastan (steep, because I had it and my buddy wanted to add some)

Boil & Hops
0.5 oz Belma at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade at 5 min.

Planning on dry-hopping with an ounce of Cascade and maybe half or full ounce of Belma. Gravity sample tasted promising. I'll keep you updated.

This one is in the bucket as of yesterday. My 3rd attempt at BIAB. Hit pre-boil numbers on the nose but ended up not boiling off enough and missed my SG by 2 points. Close enough for now but I definitely need to pick up a refractometer.

I'm sitting at 69 degrees in the closet so I moved it down to the basement which is currently a steady 57 - 58 degrees. Everyone agree that the Nottingham will do better at lower temps?

Anyone done this brew with wyeast 1272?

No, but I've been using 1272 on all my beers lately and I'm loving it. I could see it being really good in this beer. I like it because it's a relatively clean American-style yeast, but with just a hint of the fruity esters you get from something like Nottingham. I also bottle my beer so I like that it's nicely flocculant. I get little to no sediment and with most recipes I can pour the entire beer in my glass. Only con I could see with 1272 is that I might not be conducive to the "fast turnaround" that Ed was going for here. Plan on a slightly longer fermentation.

Cool thanks, looking for something clean and flocculent and good for a pale, this might work. I am not inpatient so I will try it.

Back