fermentation question (belgium wit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allgrainpa

Reaction score
Brewed a belgium wit (first time brewing a wit) and I pitched the yeast 6 days ago, 1 week tomorrow night. It has been in my fridge/fermentor for 6 days at a constant 67 degrees. It still has a nice size "cake head" on top and bubbling approx 6/min.

I am use to my previous brews to have completed the fermentation process by now. I typically only leave in primary for approx 1 week prior to racking to my secondary which i coindition for 2-3 weeks.

Question: Do I rack over to primary tomorrow (1 week from pitching) or keep watching for the krauzen to settle out and for it to slow down from a "bubbling" stand-point?

Thanks for all the suggetions and advice in advance

What yeast did you use? If it was 3944/400, some people have noted slow fermentations. I would increase temp to at least 70. Wait a few more days and take a gravity reading. On rare occasions krausens refuse to fall, but in most cases krausen means active fermentation. Only your hydrometer will tell you if you're ready to rack.

That's the problem with using standard time frames. The yeast don't follow your schedule, they do their own thing. Belgian strains usually ferment on the warm side so perhaps 67 slowed them down a bit. Either way, your primary isn't done yet, so if you plan on secondary wait til it is. Standard practices are great for consistency in most areas of brewing, but when it comes to the fermentation it's more about being observant and flexible. The short answer: it's done when it's done!

Wits have become my favorite beer to make and drink. I use the 3944 strain and just due to my climate, tend to ferment at the mid 60's F. I don't bother with a secondary. After all, it's a wit, it's not going to get any clearer and you just open yourself up to infection possibilities. I would find another hobby to keep yourself busy and come back to your primary in another 2 weeks. Bottle when the FG ha not changed for 3 days.

I agree with the phrase "it's done when it's done" I like the Billy Crystal line, "Don't rush me Sonny, you rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles"

Yeast used: WLP400 Belgium Wit Ale. Ill definitely be patient and keep checking gravity to ensure complete fermentation. thanks again for all the advise and suggestions. Keep em coming.

I would raise the temp to 70 if you can. The yeast has already contributed its flavor from fermenting ,most of the way at a cooler temp, now raising the temp will help it finish up completely without affecting flavor.

Using WLP400 I have had some krausens that seemingly never went away. I just left it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then racked from underneath the foam (after hydrometer readings of course)

It is my experience with most Belgian strains that they like the temperature to rise slowly over a period of days as they slow to keep them active. While they tend to take off quickly they always seem to take a bit of time to chew threw the last remaining points so just be patient and stop watching the calendar:)

Yeast used: WLP400 Belgium Wit Ale. Ill definitely be patient and keep checking gravity to ensure complete fermentation. thanks again for all the advise and suggestions. Keep em coming.

Did you have any experience with WLP830 (Germany Lager)?

Or maybe WLP005 (Britain Ale)?

Just trying to offer some good advise...

I started a Belgian at 62 for 3 days, moved it to 64 for another 4 days, up to 72 for a week and it was still going so after doing some research on it I found that the Wyeast 3944 likes it really warm to finish so I upped it to 83. 3 days later it was done. Tastes good too.

If you like a lot of Belgian yeast character you can let the temperature rise sooner. I love my saisons starting about 65 and drifting as high as the mid eighties by day 3 or 4. Spicy, pepery funk with a nice bubble gum background. Just awesome...

Latest posts

Back