Caned Wort (14 quarts)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
Today I canned 14 quart jars of wort to use for yest starters. It was really very easy.

canwort1.JPG

canwort2.JPG

canwort3.JPG

canwort4.JPG

canwort5.JPG

Very nice. I'm currently trying to find a pressure cooker to borrow so I can do the same. I think my wife may have one lined up. I'm not going to buy one just to can some wort.:D

Did you still use extract? Is that the powder in the first picture?

I'm thinking of doing a small beer just mash and convert the sugar then can it.

Did you still use extract? Is that the powder in the first picture?

I'm thinking of doing a small beer just mash and convert the sugar then can it.

This is exactly what I've wanted to do. I don't have a pressure cooker, but you could buy 5-6 pounds of 2-row and make 5 gallons of starter wort super cheap. DME ain't cheap!

3.2oz (weight) of light DME per quart jar, pressure cooked at 15 pounds of pressure for 15 min.

I have all the gear to do this.. but I don't.. the laziness always gets me. I make a lot of big beers that require 3-4L starters so the price of DME adds up.

Good reminder. I'm getting down to the last bit of the last 11 gallons I canned. :\

If you're going to go through all the trouble of canning, why not can AG wort? It's a whole lot cheaper.

You have to can starter wort because it doesn't have the acidity requires to prevent the growth of bacterium.

You have to use a pressure canner because simply boiling isn't hot enough to denature botulism cells. Pressure canners go up to 250F @ 15psi.

You have to can starter wort because it doesn't have the acidity requires to prevent the growth of bacterium.

You have to use a pressure canner because simply boiling isn't hot enough to denature botulism cells. Pressure canners go up to 250F @ 15psi.

This ^^^.

Botulism is some kinda bad mojo.

I have a large loaner pressure cooker being dropped by my house tomorrow. :ban:

Nice sterile indicator tape. We homebrewers just have all kinds of random things laying around.

i usually have 6-10gt of wort for starters in the freezer (in soda pet bottles) , what would be an advantage of canning over freezing?

So let's say I saved my yeast cake from my last batch. Decanted about 4 or 5 times, and stuck it in the fridge. Is this going to harbor any nasties?? It just seems to me like the two situations (canning starter wort and keeping leftover yeast/wort) are pretty similar, and I don't want to pitch a nasty yeast starter into my next beer. Thanks!!

Being able to just dump a few quarts in a starsan sanitized growler (along with yeast) and have a starter in 5 minutes is pretty awesome...

I brew AG and the last runnings from the MLT are great to save for starters 1.045ish. Make note, a pressure cooker is not a pressure canner.

So let's say I saved my yeast cake from my last batch. Decanted about 4 or 5 times, and stuck it in the fridge. Is this going to harbor any nasties?? It just seems to me like the two situations (canning starter wort and keeping leftover yeast/wort) are pretty similar, and I don't want to pitch a nasty yeast starter into my next beer. Thanks!!

Nah. We can store canned wort at room temps for up to a year. That's the big difference.

Back