Identifying A Beer for BJCP Style Guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowsdower44

Reaction score
Being relatively new to brewing beer, I'm having a difficult time using the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines to identify this recipe I found.

1 Gallon Batch Size

1lb American Pale 2-Row
8 oz American Wheat
6 oz Honey

60 Minute Boil
0.5 oz Hallertau Hops 30 min
0.5 oz Hallertau Hops 1 Min

Would it be a Blonde Ale or American Wheat or something else? I'm not really sure. :confused:

Honest Opionon: I rarely classify my beers PRIOR to brewing. In most circumstances, I brew first, with SOME kind of style in mind . .. but then I taste the finished product, and classify it after that.

I know it sounds backwards, but sometimes it's the best way to do a classification. Once you're done, you KNOW where it fits :)

As an example: I brewed a brown ale that I had intended to classify as a Northern English Brown. However, after bottle aging for 2 months, I tasted the beer, and realized I didn't hit the style very well. . . but it made a pretty damn good American Brown. It scored relatively well in that category in my local brew club competition.

That being said, if you're not intending to enter the beer into a competition, what does it matter . .. even if it doesn't fit firmly in a style, it'll probably still taste good!

American 2 row and wheat with low IBU German hops. What yeast did you use? It's almost a Hefeweizen, if it used Hefe yeast.

Unfortunately, because this beer does not check any of the BJCP standard styles, it likely wouldn't judge well. It is between a few categories, meaning it would get major deductions whereever you put it. Remember, the BJCP is designed to be as objective as possible based on the defined guidelines, NOT to judge if it's "good beer" or not.

You probably don't want to enter the beer above in a BJCP-judged event. It isn't going to score well.

If you just want honest feedback, enter it in Category 23 - Specialty Beer and list your entire recipe and numbers with the entry.

I used an ale yeast, I forget which kind. I wanted to get an idea of what this was so I knew where it stood.

Thank you for the feedback!

If you used a clean fermenting ale yeast, I think this probably fits pretty well within the American Wheat category. 2-Row plus Wheat, Noble Hops, and American Ale yeast is a pretty standard description of an American Wheat (Oberon fits this description pretty well).

Back