What hops for a simple Caraaroma Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgrindio

Reaction score
So, I want to make a simple recipe to really get to taste my Caraaroma. I've used it in my porter several times, and it turned out great, but I feel like it was hard to pinpoint the actual flavor of the Caraaroma, so I want to make something where that is practically the only predominant flavor. I'm thinking something like:

9# Pale Ale (Weyermann)
1# Caraaroma

I also have CaraAmber (25 L), Caramunch (50 L) and Carafa 1 (Chocolate).

What do you think I should do for hops? What IBU's should I go for to get a malt-first-hops-second kinda flavor?

I use Galena as the bittering hop, but for the flavoring hop I have available:

Columbus
Willamette
UK Golding

Which do you think would be best? Or do I even want a flavoring hop at all? Maybe do the Irish-Red thing and have no flavoring hops??

I live in Ecuador, S.America, so what I have is what I have. If you suggest anything else, you'll just frustrate me!

I love the idea of willamette with that grainbill!

I'd bitter with them to 25 IBUs or so (columbus is sort of strong) if you have enough, and then use them at 15 minutes for flavor hops. That sounds really good.

As I understood, it doesn't matter too much which hop you use for bittering, as long as you calculate IBU's correctly. Would you say that you can taste the difference even in the Bittering hop?

As I understood, it doesn't matter too much which hop you use for bittering, as long as you calculate IBU's correctly. Would you say that you can taste the difference even in the Bittering hop?

Yes, sometimes. Some hops are "harsh" like Columbus and come through in the final beer. Some hops are very gentle in bittering, like German noble hops. Many are neutral, but there are a few types that will give some harshness. Galena is pretty good, but can be harsh in a lower OG/lower IBU beer.

So, just to provide a little closure, and for what it's worth to anybody who might search for "CaraAroma" later, I tried it, and the hops were fine, but the CaraAroma was just nasty. I have a pretty open mind about beer, but it's kinda gross. I'll stick to using it in my porters... :(

Back