Strike temp with larger amount of grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
I usually brew 7.5 gallons batch and the volume of the malt is almost always the same but this week end i'll brew a batch twice this size.

My question is a certain amount of malt will cool down the mash water to the desired temp for mashing. Since I'll be using twice as much malt, I assume that I should bring the strike water temp higher since more malt will cool it down further.

Is there some kind of rules of thumb of how much temp you loose per pounds of grains added to a certain volume of water? or some kind of charts?

Thanks

I usually brew 7.5 gallons batch and the volume of the malt is almost always the same but this week end i'll brew a batch twice this size.

My question is a certain amount of malt will cool down the mash water to the desired temp for mashing. Since I'll be using twice as much malt, I assume that I should bring the strike water temp higher since more malt will cool it down further.

Is there some kind of rules of thumb of how much temp you loose per pounds of grains added to a certain volume of water? or some kind of charts?

Thanks

I use Beersmith to calculate my water strike temperature, but if you want to try a free one, try rackers.org here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

If you compare a current grainbill and temp that you know with it, you can guestimate the probable strike temp you'll need and probably hit it pretty accurately.

I use the rackers one that Yooper mentioned. It is very accurate for me. I do pre heat my mash tun and always am within a degree of e temp using that calculator.

To answer the OP's question, as long as you preheat your tun and use the same water-to-grain ratio, it doesn't matter how large your batch is. You'll always see the same drop in sparge water temp, be it 12F or 15F or whatever.

Back