Bourbon Barrel Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a club brew to be aged in a bourbon barrel, and we (mostly I) thought it would be interesting to do a bourbon barrel saison.

I'm thinking that a) it will need to be on the higher end of the ABV range, and b) need a bit more body/complexity to stand out through the barrel. Here's what I've got so far. Let me know what you think:

5 gallons, 75% efficiency

6 lb Pilsner malt
2 lb Rye malt
2 lb Munich malt
1 lb Dark Wheat malt
1 lb Turbinado sugar

2 oz Styrian Golding (5.4% AA) - 60 min
1 oz Saaz - 0 min

Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast

Mash: 148 for 90 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 90 min
Fermentation: 21 days @ 68-75 degrees
Maturation: 3 months in bourbon barrel (previously used for a club quad project)

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.006
ABV: 8.3%
IBU: 32
SRM: 7
BU:GU: .48

Your not worried about that Quad's yeast effecting the Saison? And I may be going out on a limb here but I don't see Saison and bourbon pairing too well, could be wrong though.

hoptualBrew said:
Your not worried about that Quad's yeast effecting the Saison? And I may be going out on a limb here but I don't see Saison and bourbon pairing too well, could be wrong though.

This will be post-fermentation, so the yeast won't be a problem. The 3711 will dry it out before it goes anywhere near the barrel. As for bourbon and saison, I think it'll be good. My coffee saison turned out nice, and I think this will too.

The Munich and rye are here to help blend the saison with the barrel.

Everything looks pretty good to me. If y'all end up doing it, update and let us know how it turns out.

This will be post-fermentation, so the yeast won't be a problem. The 3711 will dry it out before it goes anywhere near the barrel. As for bourbon and saison, I think it'll be good.
Did you (or anyone else) do a Bourbon Barrel Saison? I'm planning on getting a barrel soon and was toying with the Saison idea. Can't get my head around how these flavors will come together, but it sounds like it could be good.

Did you (or anyone else) do a Bourbon Barrel Saison? I'm planning on getting a barrel soon and was toying with the Saison idea. Can't get my head around how these flavors will come together, but it sounds like it could be good.

Sadly no, it never got made. The club went a different direction. That said, if I had to give suggestions based on absolutely no experience, I'd say make this the second or third brew to be barrelled so that the barrel doesn't overpower the beer. Otherwise I think the recipe is solid.

Back