Summer Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djprogin

Reaction score
Hello-- Trying to develop a summer-ish beer recipe.
This is what I have:

1 lb honey malt
6 lb pilsner LME
2 lb honey (local raw)

1 oz willamtte (15 mins)
1 oz citra (30 mins)

.75 oz sweet orange peel (flameout)
.5 oz coriander seed (flameout)

US-05

Any thoughts?
I have never used orange peel or coriander seed before. Don't want overpowering flavor but want there to be a little something from them.

Beer Smith gives me OG of 1.058

Thanks!

The recipes I used orange peel and coriander called for it to be added the last 15 minutes. I'm sure one of the pros will chime in soon for more info.

First of all,they say half a pound of honey malt gives more of the honey flavor you seek. Haven't tried it yet myself. They also claim that mashing it gives more flavor. The honey added would mostly ferment out. As for the orange peel,use onlt the zest (colored part). The white pith is very bitter.
Adding the zest & crushed coriander seed in a hop sack @ 10-15 minutes left in the boil is typical.

Alright I will add the orange and coriander earlier. What about those amounts? Do they seem okay and not overpowering?

Your amounts look good. Coriander wouldn't go any higher. Orange zest you could maybe go to 1 oz. And I've always added them with 10 min left in the boil.

Your recipe looks very similar to a Belgian Wit, except you don't have wheat in the grain bill. Your coriander and orange amounts look bang on what was in my last Wit Kit. We steeped these ingredients for only 5 minutes in 160 F water.

I would like to try this beer.

As union said, watch that honey malt! I think 1 lb will be way too much for this beer. I'd cut it down to 1/4lb to 1/2lb MAX. Probably try to keep it below 10% of your grist.

Too much honey malt gets really sweet.

I'd also put a small hops charge in at 60 min for some bitterness. Maybe split the 30 min addition and put 1/2 oz at 60 min

I am currently fermenting a recipe that called for the zest of 2 lemons and their juices at 30 minutes from flame out. I'd say I let about half of the zest quantity carry on into the fermenter while the other half I dumped (I wasn't sure if they were to go into the fermenter or not). I'm likely to be bottling it in a week or so. I'm then going away for 6 weeks so unless I mucked that up they should be conditioned nicely for my return in August. While late for your requested info, I'll let the thread know how it went when I eventually taste it.

30 minutes seems like too long for the juice & zest to be in the boil. But that's an average amount of zest that would've been fine all in @ 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Rather than just dumping half. The juice would've been just as well in secondary I think. would've preserved more of the freshness of the flavor imo.

Back