A question for all you all grain brainiacks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
I there a way to figure out what the gravity of your first running should be. It would be a big help in hitting the numbers consistently. My normal procedure is to mash at 154 with 1.50 qt/lb. knowing it should hit x after 60 min

Sadly i didnt understand any of that. is there a sight i can go to and just enter stuff in and it will give me the first running gravity

Sadly i didnt understand any of that. is there a sight i can go to and just enter stuff in and it will give me the first running gravity

Your first running gravity is based off of your efficiency, so you can only predict it if you know exactly what your efficiency will be.

so lets say i hit 75% mash eff how would i figure it out

It all comes down to the recipe and potential extract of the grains and the volume and the % of efficiency you are achieving. Honestly, most AG brewers use brewing software instead of doing everything long hand.

I use beersmith but there are a few free on line tools and recipe creators you can use. Visit the brewing software forum and see the ones mentioned and the recommendations of the ones that work well:) The software will then give you the estimated pre-boil OG as well as post boil OG and estimated FG.

It all comes down to the recipe and potential extract of the grains and the volume and the % of efficiency you are achieving. Honestly, most AG brewers use brewing software instead of doing everything long hand.

I use beersmith but there are a few free on line tools and recipe creators you can use. Visit the brewing software forum and see the ones mentioned and the recommendations of the ones that work well:) The software will then give you the estimated pre-boil OG as well as post boil OG and estimated FG.

I use beersmith also and its the reason i want to know how to figure out the first running gravity. i like the fact that it gives me a pre boil gravity but i want more control. i want to take a sample of the first running and know with out a doubt that im going to hit the pre boil gravity. this way i can choose to mash longer or pull it

Kai's table gives the SG for 100% mash conversion. As I understand from his article, if you have a decent mash you should be within 90% of this value with the rest of the difference in individual efficiency actually coming from lautering issues. So I would say you want to be withing 90% of the value in the table on the first runnings, knowing that you will lose some effiiciency to lautering. If you are not within that, work on mash conversion issues. If you are within that on the first runnings but end up short overall, work on lautering issues.

I think I would just adjust the mash volume/final volume in beersmith such that I would theoretically do a single infusion mash no sparge. Then beersmith would have calculated the OG of the first runnings for the recipe. Then of course I would change the recipe back but I'd have an idea what that OG would be for a given efficiency.

Kai's table gives the SG for 100% mash conversion. As I understand from his article, if you have a decent mash you should be within 90% of this value with the rest of the difference in individual efficiency actually coming from lautering issues. So I would say you want to be withing 90% of the value in the table on the first runnings, knowing that you will lose some effiiciency to lautering. If you are not within that, work on mash conversion issues. If you are within that on the first runnings but end up short overall, work on lautering issues.

This is my understanding as well but in all honesty I do not really pay any attention to first and second runnings, only pre-boil OG and in addition, if my numbers are off a point or few then I make adjustments in my boil. I'm not really one of those number freaks as long as I'm close, I'm happy. If the beer is 6.0% or 6.2% I'm really not losing any sleep over it:)

All that being said, I have been using the same brewing set up for several years and my process is pretty dialed in at 82% efficiency across the board so I pretty much know I'm hitting on all cylinders each batch.

This is my understanding as well but in all honesty I do not really pay any attention to first and second runnings, only pre-boil OG and in addition, if my numbers are off a point or few then I make adjustments in my boil. I'm not really one of those number freaks as long as I'm close, I'm happy. If the beer is 6.0% or 6.2% I'm really not losing any sleep over it:)

All that being said, I have been using the same brewing set up for several years and my process is pretty dialed in at 82% efficiency across the board so I pretty much know I'm hitting on all cylinders each batch.

I hear ya, at this point I've got about 25 batches in a row at 78-82% efficiency so I set my recipes to 80% and never miss by more than a point or two. Last couple batches I didn't even take a gravity until chilling. But it sounds like a good method to try for the OP if she wants to troubleshoot or dial her system in.

Crazy, that's about the only value you can't get from Beersmith. It will give you the estimated gravity of the final runnings, but not the first runnings (at least from what I can see).

I hear ya, at this point I've got about 25 batches in a row at 78-82% efficiency so I set my recipes to 80% and never miss by more than a point or two. Last couple batches I didn't even take a gravity until chilling. But it sounds like a good method to try for the OP if she wants to troubleshoot or dial her system in.

What made you think i was female -_-

Back