Transplanters Anonymous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UWbucky

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Bucky and I am a transplanter...

So anyway, I was searching old threads for what to do with transplanting since I am moving on June 1. There were all kinds of advice, do it, don't do it, cut all the bines and throw away the season, use 3-indole butyric acid, use maunre, dont use manure, do it in fall, do it before summer, etc....In the end, the best piece of advice I saw was this: hops are weeds...they will survive and grow.

Done and done.

So these are my second years, centennial, cascade and nugget respectively. We had a cold spring here in WI, so the new shoots didn't break soil here until almost May1. I got permission to get them to our new digs before us, so these pictures show they are 10 days in new soil. The nugget have done the best, they are sending large bines up their new twine lines. The cascade which is the biggest plant doesn't seem to be doing too well, but if you look at the right side of the main plant you will see some new leaf growth...there is a lot going on down below as well. The smallest of the crew, the centennials are doing fine as well...probably the least disturbed.

All I did was dig out and down pretty far, and used large pots to transport them. Fresh new soil with miracle grow, and a gravel bed to the assist draining. I do not have a green thumb, so hopefully this thread may help those in my situation with transplanting questions. I will try to keep an update and check in how they are faring for the season.

cent.jpg

cascade.jpg

nugg.jpg

Back