Black Licorice Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturallight16oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this makes the third type of beer that i've gotten the same licorice flavor in. all in bottles but only a few bottles per batch have this off flavor.i'm assuming its some kind of sanitation issue. any experience with this?

The only black licorice flavor I ever got in any brews was from using star anise in a hard cider. Not sure it's an infection as you said it was only a few bottles of a few batches. You'd think infection would get them all. That's a bit of a puzzler you have there.

The only black licorice flavor I ever got in any brews was from using star anise in a hard cider. Not sure it's an infection as you said it was only a few bottles of a few batches. You'd think infection would get them all. That's a bit of a puzzler you have there.

I agree, and 3 different beers. I have no clue

If you had a couple dirty bottles only a couple would get infected. I've had what I describe as a "plasticy" taste in a couple bottles from different batches. Maybe the same taste? I'm pretty sure mine was from not properly cleaning the bottles.

If you had a couple dirty bottles only a couple would get infected. I've had what I describe as a "plasticy" taste in a couple bottles from different batches. Maybe the same taste? I'm pretty sure mine was from not properly cleaning the bottles.

Yes i'm thinking the same, improprer cleaning. I was just curious if anyone else had the same happen. But mine is definitly licorice. yuck.:mad:

Jumping in this thread. I have a RIS that resulted in a licorice component trying to figure if there is a grain that would be responsible for contributing that flavor. Thanks.

Back