Pin lock kegs-what to look for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a CL ad for 5 pin lock kegs for 100 bucks. Actually 6 but one is damaged such that it will not hold pressure and marked as "parts only."

The seller told me he will include 3 sets of new seals that he already had since they probably all need replacing, and that they'd need to be cleaned (obviously).

I have no kegs and don't really know what I should keep an eye out for, but $20 per keg seemed reasonable to me considering the LHBS store sells reconditioned ones for 30-40 bucks if I remember right.

Anything else I should look for/check?

Thanks!

Nic

See if he can air them up. This can be done easily with a standard air compressor and air nozzle (the kind with a rubber pointed nozzle). Just press the nozzle into the poppet and squirt some air into the tank. Don't over pressurize, but you need enough to actually seal the lid.
Use a spray bottle of soapy water to check for leaks.

On the other hand, as long as they are in good condition, go for it. You really can't go wrong at $20 a pop.

^yep.

I'd jump on them for 20 bucks. As long as I didn't see any visible damage or out-of roundness at the sealing points (lid and posts).

Helluva deal on those ;)

Back