Another Johnson or STC-1000?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which way to go. I have my fridge setup in my garage to be my fermentation chamber. Currently, I have the fridge hooked up to my Johnson temp controller. I have a 15 W light bulb on all the time for heat. This seems to work okay, but is not optimal.

So, I want to add temp control for the heating side and up the light bulb to a 40W or 60W one. Since I have the Johnson for cooling, should I buy another one for heating? Or, go for the STC-1000 which can control both? I'm a little afraid having two controllers with separate temp probes will cause problems reading different temps and fighting each other. But, the Johnson is plug and play, whereas the STC-1000 requires some wiring. The STC-1000 is cheaper, but not a lot once I add the box, wires, cords, outlets, etc.

Also, I see different STC-1000s on ebay. I know I would need the 110V version, but some say Elitech and others don't. Is there a difference?

Opinions?

I've built two stc 1000 rigs so far. And they work great. The build is real easy to wire up and can be done in twenty minutes or less the hardest part is cutting the box and you can control the freezer and the heat lamp off the one rig

^ditto.

i'd be concerned as you, OP, about two competeing controllers with different probes. I took a couple days to get my stc1000 wired up to my liking, and all pretty in a project box. I'll be an stc-1000 is cheaper than getting another johnson control.

Plus, if you need it, you could then use the johnson control for a keezer, or something else that'd never need heating/2-stage capability.

also FWIW, my stc1000 doesn't say Elitech. I just searched ebay for (110v, 120v)(stc1000, stc-1000) and selected buy it now, and selected USA only. got it for like 30 bucks shipped.

I already have a keezer setup with another Johnson temp controller. I guess I can use this one as a backup.

I guess they're all the same with slightly different markings.

^ditto.

also FWIW, my stc1000 doesn't say Elitech. I just searched ebay for (110v, 120v)(stc1000, stc-1000) and selected buy it now, and selected USA only. got it for like 30 bucks shipped.

Same unit - some say Elitech some do not.
If you can do a bit of basic handyman stuff STC-1000 are great.

I went with the STC-1000. It's just sitting next to the compressor inside the keezer. I didn't use a box or outlets. Everything is hard-wired.

I didn't know how to wire it in at first, either. I just looked at the existing wiring, which was nothing more than the compressor and the factory temperature control knob. It wasn't difficult at all to figure it out. Took me about 10 minutes to wire it in and it's been working ever since.

It's likely in your local HD, it was in both locations I checked in Pennsylvania

I got a gray plastic box from Home Depot. Really solid construction and big enough to fit all of the wiring without a problem.

This one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-6-in-x-4-in-Junction-Box-E987RR/100404096#.UZt5XKJJN3w

A 1/2" drill bit and coping or jig saw plus a little time with a file makes nice cutouts.

PSUBrew,

I got my box wired and running. I got the same box as you. It took me a few hours to cut the box (it kept melting when sawing!) and wire everything up. It's running now with a 60 W light bulb for my heat source. At first, I added bubble wrap all around the carboy to hold the probe against the side. But, then I thought this would be a bad idea since it would insulate the entire carboy from the effects of the fridge and heat. So, I've temporarily took a small piece of bubble wrap (doubled up) and squished it against the side of the fridge to hold the probe. I need a longer term solution. I've thought of using bungee cords, but they might scratch the BB. What to use? Ace bandage?

The STC1000 comes with a temperature probe that fits right inside a thermowell.
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/stopper-thermowell.html

If your using glass carboys this fits well in the 6.5 gallon one.

So your temp is now the actual temperature of the fermenting beer.

If you can fit 2 carboys, you can ferment at 2 different temperatures with 2 controllers or a 3rd one. I use a fermwrap instead of a lightbulb.

I use long velcro straps I picked up at either Lowes or Home Depot. One is long enough for strapping a Corny keg, two works perfect for my 6.5 gallon carboys...

Cheers!

I've used a pad of insulation with tape on one side and then just push the taped side against the freezer wall with the fermentor with the probe against the carboy.

Probe taped to the bucket/carboy covered by a square of folded-over bubble wrap and a few pieces of clear packaging tape to hold that on has always worked fine for me.

PSUBrew,

I got my box wired and running. I got the same box as you. It took me a few hours to cut the box (it kept melting when sawing!) and wire everything up. It's running now with a 60 W light bulb for my heat source. At first, I added bubble wrap all around the carboy to hold the probe against the side. But, then I thought this would be a bad idea since it would insulate the entire carboy from the effects of the fridge and heat. So, I've temporarily took a small piece of bubble wrap (doubled up) and squished it against the side of the fridge to hold the probe. I need a longer term solution. I've thought of using bungee cords, but they might scratch the BB. What to use? Ace bandage?

I currently just tape the probe to the side of the carboy with some electrical tape and insulate it with a square of bubble wrap cutout from a mailer envelope. I have noticed that this keeps the probe measuring the carboy temp pretty well, and is unaffected by the fluctuations in air temp caused by me opening the door on occasion. It isn't the prettiest, but it works and I'm the only person that sees it...

Due to the current temp in my basement, I haven't even seen fridge kick on in the past few days. At this point, I am not worried about heating, only cooling, as 90 degrees is in the forecast later this week, which will probably bump up the temp of my basement to at least 70 degrees ambient. I am planning on brewing a tripel soon, so it should be interesting to see how much heat that fermentation generates.

I have an aquarium heater that I am considering using in the fall/winter with the carboy submerged in a rubbermaid tub full of water, BUT it has it's own thermostat so the STC controller would be overkill for that purpose. I will have to experiement, and may pick up a brewblanket if my aquarium heater idea doesn't work out.

Back