milling with new mill. Does this look good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
First mill with my homemade mill. Just wanted some opinions. Not sure if it is right. Looks ok to me, but I am inexperienced in this hobby. Don't want to make flour. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

ForumRunner_20130520_205213.jpg

Looks pretty good to me- go brew some beer!

If you find it too fine you can add some rice hulls to the mash to prevent a stuck sparge

Thanks. I was just worried that it was too fine. I know it's hard to see in a pic, but it looks a bit smaller than what my lhbs has been doing for me. Maybe my efficacy will go up with a finer mill? Just might add a hand full of rice hulls to be on the safe side. I milled 9 lbs of grain for a pils in under 2 min. Hulls look pretty whole not tore up. Grain is nicely crushed. So I think my mill worked our pretty good. Might make another one to sell so I can buy some better equipment. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20130520_221206.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic, but if you're using a drill you may be running too fast. Keep the speed as slow as possible without stalling, otherwise you get tons of flour and tearing of the hulls.

LHBS advised me to keep the gap set so you can slide a credit card through,
but not wide enough to let the raised numbers pass.I get 85%

Looks good to me. Any chance you would post a picture of the mill itself?

Thanks, I think I got it set pretty close now. I have pics of the mill in the diy section of the forums. Speed was s key. Too fast it just turned the grain to dust. Glad I just did a handfull at a time. Built a temporary hopper for it until I get some sheet metal to make a better one.

ForumRunner_20130523_092930.jpg

jigtwins said:
Thanks, I think I got it set pretty close now. I have pics of the mill in the diy section of the forums. Speed was s key. Too fast it just turned the grain to dust. Glad I just did a handfull at a time. Built a temporary hopper for it until I get some sheet metal to make a better one.

What's the thread name for the pics? bought a grain grinder and am interested on how I could have saved some bones. Congrats on the mill, am glad there is still DIYers out there still.

Back