German style...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnerhaus

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a German style to do for a local competition that a semi-newbie can do with basic equip?

If you're brewing with extract, and as a beginner likely don't have the ability to lager ferment anything yet I would suggest a big bold hefeweizen. Find yourself some Weinhenstaphan yeast and get going!

First beer I did was a kolsch. Absolutely lights out. Everybody raved about it. I don't know how to add umlaut.:eek:

A German Hefe is a great style and is in season as well as in style for this time of year. Hefe's go from grain to glass fairly quickly and fo not require long periods of temp controlled lagering. Also since Hefe's have the yeast suspended in the brew you don't have to worry too much about trying to get a super clear beer either. For a beginner just testing the competition waters that is a great brew to rey for a first entry, then after you have walked around and followed how it all goes you can decide what you want to enter next. A lot of brewers have a secret weapon brew that they make for every event, but I personally like a little variety so I would tend to change up and brew different brews based on time of year and styles. Don't forget to take lots of notes while you make your batch, and take even more at the fair grounds so you can do well sooner. And don't get discouraged if you don't win, you will get another chance to win later and you will get to meet a ton of really cool folks that whole day.

Wheelchair Bob

Lager it in a keg bucket with frozen ice bottles. Labor intensive, replacing the bottles twice a day, but you can make great beer with minimal temp control investment.

I have become a lager fanatic, I think they're way underrated.

I too would say go for a good old Hefeweizen. That really is the most german style besides a Pils in my mind. Those are the most commen ones, though here in the north Pils deffo wins.
Also great for the weather, when it gets warm you wanne sit outside with a nice hefe.

If you can get one with a nice ripe banana smell and taste, smooth malt profile, a touch of citrus to keep it fresh and maybe a touch, just a touch of red fruits you got something really nice.
Mostly get smooth malts and banana and you got a great hefe =)

Hefes are very quick and easy for a beginner. I've made a few, with slight variations, and they always turn out well. If you want something a little less common, try a different grain bill for a dunkelweizen or weizenbock.

Back