Fast and loose with grapefruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squarepeg

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing still, steeping grains is about as advanced as I get. However, my attraction to brewing is to push the envelope. Now that I have my latest experiment in the primary, I'm a little less than confident. I was loosely following a recipe by Sam... something, of dogfish head, for a blood orange Hefe. The recipe calls for 4 blood oranges chopped up, steeped and added to the primary. Weird, but ok. Weirder yet, I decided to substitute, as blood oranges are intensely hard to find in Maryland, in May. I used 2 navel oranges and a grapefruit and zests from half the peels. Now I'm wondering, what the H3LL did I just do?

For all of the tremendous counsel on this site, I cannot find record of anyone deranged enough to throw a grapefruit in their primary. So I'm very much seeking some here if anyone has some dark secrets to share. Many thanks.

I'd think the zest would have more effect than anything assuming a 5 gallon batch, that's not a lot of fruit, 1-2lbs per gallon (depending on the fruit) is recommended for fruit beers by Ray Daniels in Designing Great Beers. The effect will probably be subtle, the fruit might make it cloudier due to pectins.

Fizgig - thanks for the note, I'll sleep a little better tonight when I get around to it. The aroma from the bubbler right now is amazing. It seems like real fruit is an interesting alternative in adding fruit notes to wheat beer rather than going crazy with a C hop. Good note on the pectins, I'll think twice before tossing citrus in a blonde.

Latest posts

Back