ESB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I'm throwing together an ESB recipe, and I'm looking for some general feedback. Based on some research, I've come up with this...

10 lb (97%) English Maris Otter Malt
4 oz (2.3%) Simpsons CaraMalt 30-37L
4 oz (2.3%) English Dark Crystal 70-80L
4 oz (2.3%) English Extra Dark Crystal 160L

I plan on a 50/50 mix of UK Kent Goldings & Willamette hop pellets @ 60/15/5 to about 30 IBUs

I'll probably use wy1968.

There was an article in the latest Zymurgy magazine about mixing crystal malts and how using different levels together exploits a synergy of flavors. So, I'm keeping the crystal at 7% of the grist, but equal portions of each, where the mean color is about 90L. One of my curiosities is whether this is leaning towards too dark or not?

I plan to mash thick at 1 qt/lb for mouthfeel, but mash low around 150*F to keep it from being cloyingly sweet. I also plan to mash out to secure the mouthfeel.

I might throw in a bit of brown sugar, maybe 4 oz or so, but I'm curious on people's opinions about sugar in an ESB?

I also plan to dry hop this. I always dry hop with whole hops, and keeping with the 50/50 mix, I picked up 1oz packages of both UK Kent Goldings whole leaf and Willamette whole leaf. However, I'm wondering if the full 2oz is too much or if it'll play? I hate to split a bag of whole leaf in half, so if 2 oz is too much, I might just use one or the other.

Any feedback, suggestions, cautions, or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

The recipe looks fine. Mixing crystal malts like that is not the only way to get complex crystal/caramel flavors, but there is nothing wrong with doing it that way. Moreover, your hop and yeast choice look good, although be sure to make an appropriate sized starter and control your ferment temps. I like pitching this yeast cool, around 62-64F and letting it slowly ramp (up) to 66-68F max, before crash cooling. Also, if you are bottle conditioning this beer be sure it has completely attenuated before you bottle, as this yeast can easily reactivate in the bottle. As per the dry hops, one oz should be plenty, I would use the EKG over the Willamette.

Lastly, I am not a fan of brown sugar in bitters. If you want to use some sugar, I would recommend making your own invert syrup or using a light treacle.

I was hesitant about using both packages of whole leafs to dry hop. I'll probably just use the EKG. I don't have anything in terms of downward temp control. I just started dabbling in temp control. I plan on pitching in the low 60's, but after that, it's unfortunately on it's own.

Curious, what are some other ways to get more complex crystal character, besides mixing?

The following options have worked well from a few attemps at bitters and trying the Simpson's crystal malts (60L, 80L, 160L):

Choose 2 of the crystals and have them total 5-10% of the grainbill. Possibly use less of the darker one instead of 50/50.

Choose 1 of the crystals (recommend the 80L) for 5% of the grainbill and use 5% torrified wheat (pic below from this approach).

Choose 1 of the crystals (recommend the 80L) for 5% of the grainbill and use a small portion (2-3%) of chocolate malt. This is similar to Orfy's Hobgoblin II
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/hob-goblin-threads-missing-146613/

DSmith's English Pale Ale.jpg

Back