Making my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty78

Reaction score
I finally received my starter kit. I am now looking to by my ingredients. This being my first batch I was planning on using the liquid extract. I have been looking around, and being new to this, I don't really know what recipe to go with. I love IPA's. Can any one recommend a nice one (not too hoppy), and what website to get the ingredients?

Thanks,
Thirsty

Not sure where you are but i like grape and granery in akron ohio. Not the same old ****ty brewers best box kits. Check out the grape and granery kits. They have a american ipa, a ryepa, and an imperial ipa( maybe too hoopy for you based on your post) also have a few good pale ale recipes. Havent been dissapointed yet. They come with everything you need except if you prefer liquid over dry yeast. The kits come with dry.

Also have a black ipa kit if thats your bag. All in all think there probably like 10 ipa/ pale ale kits.

Northern brewer also has some good kits.
Happy brewing!

I finally received my starter kit. I am now looking to by my ingredients. This being my first batch I was planning on using the liquid extract. I have been looking around, and being new to this, I don't really know what recipe to go with. I love IPA's. Can any one recommend a nice one (not too hoppy), and what website to get the ingredients?

Thanks,
Thirsty

When I was doing extract kits I did a Drake's IPA clone from B3 (morebeer.com) .. turned out great, very drinkable, not overwhelmingly hoppy (although i prefer overwhelmingly hoppy)

http://morebeer.com/products/drakes-ipa-extract-beer-kit.html

Check out northernbrewer.com they have a lot of good kits. Their Deadringer Ipa extract may be good for you. Also I've heard good things about austinhomebrew.com

Thanks,
Thirsty

Hops add two distinct items to make an IPA, bitterness and aroma. Should I assume that when you say not too hoppy, you really mean not too bitter? if that is the case, you only need to know how to interpret the IBU rating of a recipe and how to manipulate that to your liking. After sampling some IPA's, I've decided I don't really care for a very bitter beer so I choose to make APA's instead, controlling the bitterness to what I like but adding hops when the ferment is over to get the hop aroma. There are a bunch of IPA recipes on HomeBrewTalk in this section with comments about how they turned out. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/ You can reduce the amount of bittering hops (those at 60 to 30 minutes) or use a hop variety that has less alpha acid (which drives the bitterness) as a substitution. Your beer may turn out with a slightly different flavor if you substitute hops though.

I think you might like my first take on these beers with my AE BuckIPA. Click on my recipes to click on that one for ideas. It's more flavor & aroma than bitterness.

Thanks for your replies, they are very helpful. I'm going to go with Drakes IPA, seems right up my alley. Of course I've just been drinking grocery store beer so what do I know.

Back