Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
Im starting to dread my own posts. They are a collection of stupid mistakes. So, i have a batch of a light ale. 6 lbs of pilsner extract with a bunch of cascade pitched with notorious (to me) wyeast 1098. Just a simple drinker for hot summer days. OG was 1.040. I ended up with a FG of 1.019 and thought i was looking at 3.7 abv...(wrong) This was measured 3 days in a row. I racked to secondary. Then after i racked to secondary i stumble apron the recipe i used and see the FG should be 1.010. I did have some lower end fermentation temps on this beer as i was terrified id create horrible tasting fusels. Is there any way to know if the temp stalled me out early? I plan letting the beer site in a warmer 66 spot for a few days..but its racked to secondary..away from a lot of those yeasty friends. Should i take like teaspoon of simple muntons dry and try to re pitch? The abv is 2.7.....ill have to drink the full five gallons to deal with my in laws.
<sigh>

So, I did repitch with a nottingham ale yeast. I used a half of package and I probably should have used the whole package. Anyway, the beer is now at 1.015 or 3.3 abv. It tastes great, I am hoping to get a few more tenths out of it. I seem to be getting out of this mistake ok...

Back