Broken airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paschendale

Reaction score
Now I know why airlocks are so cheap...just broke my first one. I suspect that's a regular hazard. Any tips on how to avoid that when removing the airlock from the stopper during cleanup? I'm using the basic plastic 3-piece jobs.

Yeah, they don't stand up to pressure much, do they? I took one with me to Home Depot to have in hand to fit some vinyl tubing around the inside (to use for blow-off tube if needed) plastic piece. Well, after sliding the correct sized tubing onto it, I couldn't get it back off! Ended up snapping the plastic inner piece right off, and then I still couldn't get it out of the tubing... D'oh! I've seen many people use that airlock with tubing set up for a blow off tube, but after that just decided to scrap that idea and skip the airlock part altogether...

Soak in hot water for a minute or two,and be more gentle. When you start forcing is when you can potentially break them. MIne have lasted for quite a while,and I was surprised when I broke one, I actually use that one for a blow off tube. I even clipped/cut the pieces off at the tip so it cant clogg as easily. Using one(the stem) makes it easier for inserting tubing when you cant get it into an airlock hole(when your tubing is too big for your airlock hole) and you want a blowoff assembly attached to it. Im actually currently using it on my bottleing bucket for primary fermentation.Ill just switch it out with an airlock when it starts slowing.
I end up hanging on to broken stuff,you never know when you will need some makeshift piece of something someday.

For a buck a piece, I have a few extra. I broke one the same way you did, broken one by stepping on it, and tossed one too hard into my sink. Keep a few extra :)

Lol, yeah, I've been buying an airlock along with every order, just in case. I'll definitely try the tip with the warm water though, since I'm po' and don't like spending a dime more than I gotta

Have not heard if keg lube, but I had wondered if there might not be some lube agent that would make the process easier

Have not heard of keg lube, but I had wondered if there might not be some lube agent that would make the process easier

Have not heard of keg lube, but I had wondered if there might not be some lube agent that would make the process easier

it is food grade lubricant used for the posts on your keg.. i am getting some in stock next week, if i had some now i would give you a link

Ive heard from "Craigtube" that k-y jelly works too.Maybe "awkward" but at the same time probably true.Im having issues with a few of my stoppers as well,Im worried Im going to break them trying to disasemble and clean them when getting impatient also. It can happen with racking canes and tubing also,I know that from f'ing up my mini auto siphon racking tube taking off the tubing from it.Which Ive still used a few times broken. What the? NOthing wrong with a good tight seal though its just a matter of "untightening it"

For my blow-off tubes on Better Bottles, I attach the blowoff to the main part of the 3 -piece airlock (I think everyone does this). It's a b**** to take the tube off, but I think I found the secret. I run the airlock under hot water for 10 seconds, then PUSH the airlock and tube together until the seal between airlock and tube breaks. They slide right apart after that.

The idea of some sort of lube between the stopper and the airlock sounds like a wonderful idea. My only concern is whether it would manage to contaminate the brew in the fermentation vessel. Is this a valid concern, or do you think the fit would be tight enough to discourage that? I will definitely try the hot water method in my next batch, though.

Back