Super Fast Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
*** Thread Updated at End ***

I did my 4th batch on Saturday, but my first AG recipe - Pliny the Elder, a IIPA that targets 8.5% ABV. The brew day seemed to go very smoothly by hitting volumes, temps and timings quite well. I missed the target OG of 1.072 by ten points though and came in at 1.062. I had done a yeast starter of White Labs California Ale yeast (WLP001) and pitched at 68F.

Within 12 hours my blow off tube was bubbling well. However 12-24 hours after that any visible activity stopped. I wasn't sure if there was a small leak where the pail lid closes onto the pail, or somewhere else, or whether it was 'stuck'. On Tuesday afternoon, less than 72 hours after pitching, I succumbed to temptation by opening the pail lid to see what I could see (pic below).

I also took a gravity reading. It was down to 1.020. According to the readings, it dropped 42 points in less than 3 days. Is that normal? Is that possible? I'm sure I stirred it well just prior to taking the OG. I used an electric drill with a paint stirrer attachment for several minutes. I was also sure to put my turkey baster for taking out the samples right to the middle of the pail. Is it likely that despite my attempts to mix well and get accurate readings that I didn't get accurate readings, or does beer really does ferment this fast? I haven't taken another reading yet as I fully intend to leave this alone for at least another week.

Thanks!

Pliney.jpg

I am by no means a master brewer but have attempted pliny clones many times and have had similar difficulties hitting the OG. A longer boil has helped me fyi. About the fermentation, I wouldnt worry about the bubbling (I bet there is a leak somewhere in your airlock) as the numbers indicate you are fermenting well (yes it can ferment that fast). That picture is reassuring as well as that looks like a beer that has krausened. I would check another gravity reading in 3-4 days before you rack to your secondary for dry hopping.

Ben

Thanks for the reply. Do you find that missing the OG makes it taste unbalanced?

If it was your first AG, how was your grain crush and mash temp? Primary fermentation can last up to 5 days or so and then it will appear as if nothing is happening. Completely normal. That last week is when the yeast will go back and eat down those last few points with little "visible" excitement.

sounds normal to me. very rare that my fermentations aren't done within 3-4 days. also, the warmer it is the faster it will ferment. if that is at 68F ambient I would bring it down a few as your internal temp will be in the 70s which can lead to issues (excess esters, fusels)

The 68F is the actual fermentation temp, read via stick on thermometer.

I mashed for 60 minutes at 152F and then sparged at 170F. The grain crush appeared good to me, but I have nothing to compare to as I've not done it before, nor have I ever ordered pre-crushed grains. One friend with me said we ought to go finer, while another said less fine... I voted for in the middle. Neither of them had experience either though.

Seems like it's going smoothly. I may rack to secondary tomorrow if a gravity reading warrants it.

The 68F is the actual fermentation temp, read via stick on thermometer.

I mashed for 60 minutes at 152F and then sparged at 170F. The grain crush appeared good to me, but I have nothing to compare to as I've not done it before, nor have I ever ordered pre-crushed grains. One friend with me said we ought to go finer, while another said less fine... I voted for in the middle. Neither of them had experience either though.

Seems like it's going smoothly. I may rack to secondary tomorrow if a gravity reading warrants it.

Your doing great ! Yes Beer can ferments in 3 days, sounds like you have this under control.

Cheers :mug:

Nice, it does look great. My last batch had lower efficiency than I expected, but I think I was a little coarse on my crush. Just something to consider next time.

That's high-krausen right there. You're chugging away nicely. Yes, after lag phase (which is mitigated with use of starter) the yeast immediately go to work. I've had beers hit stable FG in 3-4 days, grain to glass in about 8 or 9 is my record (with kegging, of course). Obviously though you should always let your beer clean up and tell you (by taste, clarity, etc.) when it's ready to package.

About the taste, missing the OG will obviously affect alcohol but you are close enough that I dont think the taste difference will be noticeable. With that much hops how can it taste bad! The problem is that if you get used to beers like Pliny, any beers less than 100 IBUs will start to taste like light lagers! In my opinion that is a great problem to have!

haha, I've heard of that happening.

I racked it to secondary today and put in the first dry-hop infusion. I thought about just dry hopping in the primary, but I bought a brand new glass carboy and liked the idea of being able to see in there. Just to note, I covered it with a towel after taking the picture...

Pliny 1.jpg

Pliny 2.jpg

*** Thread Update ***

Things got a bit out of hand last night. I was down in the basement having drinks with a friend that helped me brew this and the blow off tube for a different one i brewed on Friday popped out... so since i was sanitizing a couple of things to deal with that, i decided to take a sample of the Pliny (pictured above).

It was so damn good i drank a pint of it... flat.

This beer is going to be totally outstanding.

I highly recommend everyone instantly shift all resources towards brewing this beer (recipe's in a different thread). Even if you have to dump something in order to accommodate, it's all substandard water by comparison. Now where's that little rocking out emoticon for emphasis?

***Update #2***

Pliny got bottled yesterday... and it was quite an ordeal. There wasn't enough ceiling space to fit the racking cane into the carboy, so the carboy had to be tilted to get the cane in there to rack it to the bottling bucked. Hops and a little bit of trub got stirred up in the process. Next, with only several liters of beer in the bottling bucket, the racking cane got jammed from hops, losing my siphon and forcing me to withdraw the cane in order to re-prime the siphon.

In trying to pull it out, the little black nub on the end got pulled off and landed in the trub at the bottom of the carboy. Decided to forge ahead and continue racking into the bottling buck without the nub that filters sediment, so some inevitable got into the bottling bucket.

Next, while transferring from bottling bucket into individual bottles, the spigot got jammed with hops. So I sanitized my hand and dislodged the blockage "manually".

All in all, the draw was a little dissapointing - 29 bottles which range from 500-650ml each. I added priming sugar for 5 gallons but only came out with 4.

All things aside, this will be a damned fine beer. Each pint clocks in at about $3 a piece, which is very expensive for all-grain homebrew, but this was thankfully covered by a bet that two of my friends made over the price of Apple stock, which got donated to the cause.

Back