Trinity brewing Three Flower Saison Clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately I live nowhere near Colorado springs but I have had a chance to have this beer while visiting and really loved it and this was before I enjoyed Saisons, so I can't image now.

Anyways, I know the 3 flowers are kept under lock and key but I can't find anything out there regarding any part of the recipe or process.

Is there anyone out there that has info or can add anything in the hopes to formulate something close?

You should try looking up the BN's sunday session when they had Trinity on. I've never had the beer, but they said they use 3711 as their primary strain, and they ferment at crazy high temperatures, like well over 100 F (they mentioned their latest beer got up to 118 F, or something crazy like that).

They throw all sorts of crap in their beers. Just throw three random flowers in your fermenter that smell good and aren't poisonous and call it good.

You should try looking up the BN's sunday session when they had Trinity on. I've never had the beer, but they said they use 3711 as their primary strain, and they ferment at crazy high temperatures, like well over 100 F (they mentioned their latest beer got up to 118 F, or something crazy like that).

They throw all sorts of crap in their beers. Just throw three random flowers in your fermenter that smell good and aren't poisonous and call it good.

Yep, I have heard that episode and I know they let their beers get hot but I think it depends on which beer and a few other things too.

Anyways, I was hoping for a bit more direction that throw 3 random flowers in. ;)

Ok, what about others that have had success with botanicals in saisons. I am thinking lavender, rose hips and a 3rd on the cold side, grains of paradise and others on the hot side.

I picked up a bottle of this today, and am looking forward to trying it. I doubt I'll be much help in id'ing the flowers, though. You could try randalling some of your ideas with a light beer to see if you're in the ballpark, or dropping them in a bottle, re-sealing it, and trying the beer a few days later.

Hops are a flower, so you might be close with hops, lavender and rose petals. Maybe hibiscus, orange blossoms, cherry blossoms, dandelions, jasmine... You could check out some herbal teas and see what they use. I have no idea whatsoever what Trinity uses.

I picked up a bottle of this today, and am looking forward to trying it. I doubt I'll be much help in id'ing the flowers, though. You could try randalling some of your ideas with a light beer to see if you're in the ballpark, or dropping them in a bottle, re-sealing it, and trying the beer a few days later.

Hops are a flower, so you might be close with hops, lavender and rose petals. Maybe hibiscus, orange blossoms, cherry blossoms, dandelions, jasmine... You could check out some herbal teas and see what they use. I have no idea whatsoever what Trinity uses.

yep, I pretty much just winged a recipe, did a fairly basic saison recipe trying to play up the more citrus nature of 3711, using cascade and calypso and then put lavender and jasmine in post ferment.

It is pretty darn good IMO

Thread Jack: Can you give us some details on the 3711 AIPA on Spanish Cedar?

well first off, the keg kicked last week which was pretty darn quick. Basically it was the recipe for the Jester King El Cedro (http://jesterkingbrewery.com/beers/#beers_284) , only difference is that I didn't use Brett to finish it off.

I loved it and so did my friends. I fermented on the cooler side to bring out more citrusy from 3711 but let it ramp up after a couple of days which is what Jester King does.

It is an amazing beer, I am not a fan of Belgian IPAs but this is not that, the hops still shine through but there is the added complexity of a saison yeast.

Message me if you want the recipe, I don't think I should post it here in respect of the brewery.

i thought the 3 Flowers was really awesome; it smelled great. As I was drinking it, though, I was wondering if the 3 flowers weren't just 3 different hop flowers, and the guys at Trinity weren't just having a joke on us. I did get maybe a little bit of spices, like ginger and rosemary, but I didn't feel like there was a whole lot out of the ordinary in there. It was amazingly smooth and drinkable, given the crazy high fermentation temps they say they use. I may need to pick another up.

i thought the 3 Flowers was really awesome; it smelled great. As I was drinking it, though, I was wondering if the 3 flowers weren't just 3 different hop flowers, and the guys at Trinity weren't just having a joke on us. I did get maybe a little bit of spices, like ginger and rosemary, but I didn't feel like there was a whole lot out of the ordinary in there. It was amazingly smooth and drinkable, given the crazy high fermentation temps they say they use. I may need to pick another up.

it has been a few years since I have had it and it was only part of the sampler but I remember definite "flower" aroma, specifically lavender and I can't remember the rest.

Again this is a few years ago and maybe my imagination has taken over but I doubt it knowing Jasons proclivity to stuff like that.

Latest posts

Back